danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Dear Sophomore year,

You have been a time of growth that I wasn’t expecting. It seems as though there were surprises and curveballs around every corner. There was a lot of patience to be had because there was no other choice. Patience with myself, patience with others, patience with work, school, and basically everything in life. Having already adjusted to college life during my first year, this time was spent figuring out how to react and deal with certain situations while life carries on. It all happens at once and there’s no pause button. When something pops up, there’s no opportunity to give it the full attention it deserves. This year, I lived a quiet and comfortable life. I adjusted to a lot of different things in different ways.

Thank you for reminding me that people will come and go as a part of life. Certain relationships will be temporary, which is heartbreaking. It’s okay though, because you reminded me that the focus needs to be on the bonds that were formed and the memories that were made. While not everyone is meant to stick around for the rest of the ride, I am yet again reminded of all the gems I have in my life. Those who are stuck with me whether they like it or not. The people I can go to with “I miss having coffee with you” as well as “I really need help right now” those are my anchors who remain steady and keep me sane. Sure, some people drift and some disappear, but I look forward to all the people I haven’t even met yet.

This year has made me confident in current and future life decisions. I am already sure of the fact that next year will be a challenge, but I’m both scared and excited to take it on. I know that I will succeed junior year and the years that follow. While this year proved that the “Sophomore Slump” is a very real thing, it also taught me how to deal with being in a slump. The past 9 months I have figured out a lot of different things that work for me, as well as what doesn’t. I’ve nearly perfected schedules, free time, me time, and time to buckle down for school. Sophomore year is very mentally taxing, at least it was for me. However, it is times like these that we prove just how strong we are and prep ourselves for the next step.

With love,

HCXO.

Alex is an easy going and bubbly person who has a passion for all things creative. She is pursuing a degree in Psychology at Valdosta State University and loving her experiences along the way. Instagram & Twitter: alex_gmann
Her Campus at Valdosta State.