Carefree Black Girls: Vanessa & Denise Huxtable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

When I think of a carefree black girls, the Huxtable sisters definitely come to mind. Vanessa and Denise had the best style and the coolest hair in the Huxtable household. They wore a variety of fashions and hairstyles during their time on the show. Their style is still imitated by young women today. Although Denise and Vanessa had opposite personalities they were definitely icons on the show. They were the older sisters that every little girl wanted during the 80’s and 90’s. They each had traits that represent a modern day carefree girl! 

Vanessa was super smart and studious as college women we all aspire to be more like her in this aspect. 

Denise was a free spirit, as modern college women a lot of us can relate to being open and willing to try new things. 

Vanessa had the greatest hair during her teenage/college years. Once she hit puberty Vanessa was known for her many hairstyles. 

We can’t forget about Denise’s hair. The sisters rocked a variety of styles and each one was flawless!

They both looked great in practically anything they wore. They both wore some things that most people wouldn’t think to wear, but they pulled off every look each and every time they tried something new. 

They were really silly and cute together!

Vanessa didn’t take crap from anyone. It is just always refreshing to see a young woman that stands up for herself. 

Denise was not afraid to take risks even if it went against the grain. She was known for expressing herself through her hair, makeup, and clothes. 

Did I mention Vanessa’s hair? Once she came into her own she slayed every hairstyle she attempted. Her hair was absolutely magnificent, especially when she had this tapered fro!

From their clothes to their hair to their personalities, Vanessa and Denise exude what it means to be carefree. Their timeless style continues to influence girls up to this day and time. So let’s give a hand to these wonderfully fabulous carefree black girls! 

HCXO!

Toni Miles is a Mass Media Major with aspirations of writing, producing her own documentaries, and directing short films in the future. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.