Campus Curl Chronicles: Lauren Sims

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Lauren Sims

Classification: Junior

Major: Middle Grades Education

Minor: Deaf Studies

HC: How long have you been natural?

LS: I made my transition when I was a sophomore/junior in high school, so I’ve been natural for about 5 years.

HC: How would you describe your hair texture?

LS: My hair texture is a mix between 4a and 4b. When I transitioned, I didn’t do a big chop. I just flat ironed my hair every 2 weeks, grew it out to the length it was before, and stayed consistent with my trims. The problem in doing that was the heat, which weakened by natural curl pattern.

So when my hair grew out from the weakened natural hair, my crown and the outside of my hair were two different textures. This happened not only because of the heat but lack of knowledge about product distribution, detangling, and moisturizing.

HC: What is your favorite or most convenient hairstyle?

LS: My most convenient hairstyle would have to be my puff! I just slick my afro up with a headband and keep it moving. My favorite hairstyle would have to be my puff-dos! Whenever my hair is blown out or detangled enough for me to manage a cute up-do, I love pinning it up into all kinds of styles, and it keeps my hair out of my face, too!

HC: Name some of your staple products. Shampoo, conditioner (deep), leave-in, etc…

LS: I’m always using something different on my hair to see what’s going to help moisture retention and keep it growing, but I try to stick to the most organic products possible, so I make the most of what I put in my hair.

Most of the time I use raw shea butter by itself, but my mom makes me an oil mixture (olive, jojoba, almond, coconut) to put on my hair for hot oil treatments and washes. I’ve been looking into making my own honey treatment, and I’m thinking about doing protein treatments (avocado, egg, bananas, etc.) on my hair as well. The most important product I use on my hair is water! I mix mine with oil.

HC: What is a wash day like for you?

LS: A wash day for me is relatively simple depending on how I’m styling my hair. I get all of my products together, along with my different combs and brushes, and wash. After I’ve washed I separate my hair into 4 sections and brush them thoroughly, and then I generously apply my product, and proceed to style. It’s gotten so much easier than before, when I had no clue where to start on my hair.

HC: What are some of the most common problems you face when styling your hair? How do you combat these issues?

LS: The most common problems I face when styling my hair are my lack of patience with certain styles, and time. Since I’ve learned how to handle my hair, [it] hasn’t been the issue. I’ve really had to learn how to set time aside to style my hair the way I want it, without it dripping wet in public, or looking crazy because I didn’t have the time to get it right.

Being natural can be tedious and annoying sometimes so patience is necessary, and although I can be very impatient with my hair, I always remind myself of how I want my hair to look, and focus on the health of my hair.

HC: What are two dos and don’ts when it comes to your hair?

LS: Dos:

· Detangle when wet and dry to get desired styling results

· Pay as much attention to the crown of your head as you can.

Don’ts:

· Don’t use shampoo unless you absolutely have to

· Don’t lay on your hair when it’s wet

HC: Is there anything you want to try on your hair that is out of your comfort zone?

LS: I would like to try coloring my hair again, but trying a color that isn’t light brown or black. Maybe more than one color!

HC: How does your hair make you feel?

LS: My hair gives me a sense of identity. My hair makes me feel like I can show everyone who I am without saying anything. When I walk around with my natural hair I feel like I’m wearing a huge sign or badge of honor that says “I’M UNAPOLOGETICALLY BLACK ROYALTY AND THERE’S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!”, and it gives me such pride to possess the genes of brown skinned, kinky haired, melanin rich people. My hair makes me feel like the queen that I am.

HC: Any words of advice to ladies with the same hair type as you?

LS: My advice to women with hair like mine is to be patient because your hair is always growing, and to use the most organic products on your hair as possible.

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.