Campus Curl Chronicles: Elena Mincy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Elena Mincy

Classification: Junior

Major: Business Management

HC: How long have you been natural?

EM: Since the 10th grade.

HC: How would you describe your hair texture?

EM: 3B.

HC: What is your favorite or most convenient hair style?

EM: Wash and go’s are my favorite, especially after the first day! To me, the bigger my hair, the better.

HC: Name some of your staple products. Shampoo, conditioner (deep), leave-in, etc.

EM: This might sound weird but my hair gets tired of products after a while. I consistently have to switch up what I use. Shampoos and conditioners aren’t a problem though. I typically use Shea Moisture’s or Twisted Sista’s Shampoo and right now I’m using Twisted Sista’s Conditioner (you can order it from twistedsista.com or find it at Ross). My leave-in right now is from Dollar General, it’s by African Pride. I have tried so many different brands though, such as Camille Rose, Shea Moisture, and Kinky-Curly. All of these can be found at Target or Walmart. For deep conditioning, I use Silk Element’s Restoring Conditioner that I get from Sally’s Beauty Supply.

HC: What is a wash day like for you?

EM: I don’t do much to prep for wash days like most curly girls. I usually just comb my hair out with a wide toothed comb and wash it with a sulfate-free shampoo and condition it thoroughly.

HC: What are some of the most common problems you face when styling your hair? How do you combat these issues?

EM: The major issue that I had with my hair was that all of my curls weren’t the same. The right side of my hair would curl up a lot tighter than the left side and that drove me crazy. I would always twist the left front side of my hair, but this just stretched the curls out even more. I eventually ended up just cutting off all of my heat damaged hair, because I didn’t like how it didn’t curl up the way I wanted. I stopped flat-ironing it and now all of my hair has the same curl pattern.

HC: What are your do’s and don’ts when it comes to your hair?

EM:

Do: Remember to deep condition and keep your ends trimmed!

Don’t: Flat iron the life out of your hair, because heat damage is irreversible.

HC: Is there anything you want to try on your hair that is out of your comfort zone?

EM: I’m pretty experimental when it comes to my hair, so I think I’ve tried everything I’ve wanted with my hair. I’m dying my ends purple soon!

HC: How does your hair make you feel?

EM: My hair can make me feel beautiful, free, fun, confident, and flirty when I am pleased with how it looks. On the contrary, my hair can also make me feel self-conscious, not so confident, reserved, and unattractive if I feel like it doesn’t look the way I want it to. This is something I’ve been working on though. Overall, I love my hair. It’s what God gave me, so I will embrace it!

HC: Any words of advice to ladies with the same hair type as you?

EM: Be careful with your flat irons! Straightening your hair is okay as long as you take care of it and prevent heat damage.

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.