samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Curl Chronicles: Brandi Moore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Brandi Moore

Classification: Senior

Major: Mass Media

HC: How long have you been natural?

BM: Since 2005

HC: How would you describe your hair texture?

BM: It has its curls, waves and kinks. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn’t; it has a mind of its own. Sometimes it’s pretty, sometimes it’s not but I let it do what it wants to do.

HC: What is your favorite or most convenient hairstyle?

BM: The poof! I can wear it for weeks. [Laughs] Well, not weeks. I can wear it out for a week at a time and not put too much effort into it.

HC: Name some of your staple products. Shampoo, conditioner (deep), leave-in, etc…

BM: I really like Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Line. When I go back home I use Design Essentials, the normal, not natural line. I keep my products very simple since I have been natural for so long.

HC: What is a wash day like for you?

BM: I just started where, instead of detangling before, I let the water [in] the shower run through my hair, use my Carol’s Daughter shampoo with my Denman brush and my conditioner to detangle. I condition more since I have color in my hair and it gets dried out quicker than before.

HC: What are some of the most common problems you face when styling your hair? How do you combat these issues?

BM: Probably the tangles. They make styling my hair very difficult because it’s so thick. Dealing with it I have to take a break, play India.Arie, grasp some patience and start over. Maybe even trying a different approach altogether.

HC: What are two dos and don’ts when it comes to your hair?

BM: Do: Moisturize at least once a day

Do: Make an effort to put on a satin bonnet at night!

Don’t: Let product build up in your hair; all you have to do is put a little water to spruce it back up

Don’t: Be so rough with detangling your hair

HC: Is there anything you want to try on your hair that is out of your comfort zone?

BM: Well, I’ve done sew-ins. I probably wouldn’t get my hair colored again because it made my hair so dry. There isn’t anything else that I would try on my hair that I haven’t tried already.

HC: How does your hair make you feel?

BM: It makes me feel very free. Like I don’t blend in with everyone else, like an individual. Like I’m just being me.

HC: Any words of advice to ladies with the same hair type as you?

BM: Don’t focus so much on the length of your hair but more so on your texture. You can’t force something that isn’t there. The most important thing is patience and moisturizing. It’s okay to go to a professional when it comes to your hair; everything doesn’t have to be a DIY! Love your hair and embrace it.

You can follow Brandi on Instagram @moorebrandiplz to see more beautiful pictures of her and her hair! 

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.