Campus Curl Chronicles: Alize Johnson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Alize Johnson

Classification: Junior

Major: Marketing

HC: How long have you been natural?

AJ: A little over two and a half years now.

HC: How would you describe your hair texture?

AJ: I don’t really like using hair types but I would say I am a type 4. My hair is very kinky in the back, curls beautifully in the middle, and does whatever it wants in the front.

HC: What is your favorite or most convenient hairstyle?

AJ: If my hair isn’t in a twist out, you will definitely find me rocking a puff. It is super convenient because I can just pineapple my hair at night, add some leave-in [conditioner] and gel in the morning and voila! 

HC: Name some of your staple products. Shampoo, conditioner (deep), leave-in, etc…

AJ: I love the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Coconut & Hibiscus shampoo, Cantu Shea Butter leave-in. For oils I use Jamaican black castor oil and coconut oil. I am still searching for the perfect conditioner.

HC: What is a wash day like for you?

AJ: It is a process, especially when I decide to give my hair the works. I like to wash my hair in the shower and I definitely have to turn off the water and sometimes will even take a seat in the tub when detangling.

HC: What are some of the most common problems you face when styling your hair? How do you combat these issues?

AJ: The fact that my hair is just weird. Some days it comes out beautifully and others it just does not want to come out right. The great thing about natural hair though is that you can always switch up the style and do something to fix it. The reason our hair is even considered beautiful is because it’s not perfect.

HC: What are two dos and don’ts when it comes to your hair?

Do: Moisturize every day.  

Don’t: Wear a puff for too long because it will get extremely tangled.

Do: Deep condition at most every two weeks.

Don’t: Sleep without a bonnet. Ever.

HC: Is there anything you want to try on your hair that is out of your comfort zone?

AJ: Right now I am focusing on getting my hair healthy and retaining length. I will start thinking about experimenting once I get my hair to where I want it.

HC: How does your hair make you feel?

AJ: Free. Wild. Playful. Unique. I love that my hair looks and feels so much better than it did while permed. It was never this healthy nor did it grow this much. I know that being natural is for me.

HC: Any words of advice to ladies with the same hair type as you?

AJ: Drink lots of water. Worry about health first; the length will follow. Love your hair no matter what anyone has to say about it; it is the hair that grows from your head, so learn to manage and love it. Be patient and flourish my fellow natural Queens. 

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.