Campus Curl Chronicles: Alesha Small

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Alesha Small

Classification: Junior

Major: Dental Hygiene

HC: How long have you been natural?

AS: It’s been two years since I decided to go natural, I did my big chop December 2013.

HC: How would you describe your hair texture?

AS: The front is more of a 4b and the back is more of a 4c texture.

HC: What is your favorite or most convenient hair style?

AS: My puff! That’s the first thing I learned to do after my big chop. I waited for a while to do twist outs because it wasn’t long enough and finally my puff was the way I wanted to be and I love it.

HC: Name some of your staple products. Shampoo, conditioner (deep), leave-in, etc.

AS: I love Cantu Coconut Curling Cream, Argan Oil and their deep conditioning mask that leaves your hair so soft. It’s like heaven in a bottle.

HC: What is a wash day like for you?

AS: That’s a don’t call me, don’t ask me to go out type of day but I love them. I feel refreshed, then I hop on YouTube to look up different styles. I love to experiment with color and new things.

HC: What are some of the most common problems you face when styling your hair? How do you combat these issues?

AS: Not knowing what to do when styling my hair is a big problem. Shrinkage is a huge issue when it comes to certain styles because I know my hair is longer than what it shows.

HC: What are two do’s and don’ts when it comes to your hair?

Do: Keep it moisturized.

Don’t: Go to sleep without wrapping or covering your hair.

Do: Frequent protein treatments or deep conditioning masks to keep your hair soft.

Don’t: I love color but, don’t get to color happy because that could lead to damage.

HC: Is there anything you want to try on your hair that is out of your comfort zone?

AS: I really want to try the short and sassy but I’m scared it won’t look right on me. The re-growing out process would take so long.

HC: How does your hair make you feel?

AS: Gorgeous, I feel in touch with mother earth! I just love my hair and it wasn’t always like that especially after I got my big chop, but over time I took the time to feel out what works for me. I grew to love it! My hair makes me feel like I can do anything. I feel more confident, it makes me accept myself in my entirety.

HC: Any words of advice to ladies with the same hair type as you?

AS: Love your hair, get in touch with it. You should treat it as a person, learn it, love it and it will always love you back!

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.