Campus Celebrity Tevin Williams ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

This friendly sweetheart is quite hard to miss with his vibrant smile and upbeat personality. He’s outgoing, fun, and the definition of a true Blazer! If you haven’t already met Tevin before, here’s your chance to get to know him!

Zodiac Sign: Aries

Major: Mass Media

Classification: Senior

Hometown: Thomasville, GA

Her Campus: What is something about you that most people don’t know?

Tevin Williams: Well, I’m sure a lot of people know me mostly as “the cheerleader that runs the big VSU Blazers flag,” but in all honesty I never thought I would get that opportunity. I had NEVER cheered a day in my life until I got to Valdosta State. One of my best friends was a cheerleader in high school and being around her as well as watching her compete made me really want to learn how to tumble, stunt, and cheer. I didn’t make it the first time I tried out; however, after learning some basics, I tried out again and I made it: cheering for VSU, and competing in April for a NCA Division II Small Coed National Title.

HC: What are you involved in here at VSU?

Tevin: I have been involved in the Residence Hall Association’s Hall Council and was voted Member of the Year in 2013. After moving off campus, I mainly volunteer at events, such as the Haunted Trail recently or for the International Dinner. It’s been great meeting people on our campus and I plan on becoming more involved by joining SGA next spring.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

Tevin: I really want to apply to graduate school at my top two choices: the University of Miami and New York University. I’m planning on getting a Master’s Degree in International Affairs and Journalism, in addition to brushing up on my Spanish and learning either German or Russian. That’s my Plan A. If I decide not to go pursue my Master’s Degree, I’ll still move to New York City or Miami to learn the ropes as a Journalist and/or News Anchor. My dream job is to have Robin Roberts as my mentor and hopefully take her place someday on Good Morning America.

HC: What do you like to do in your spare time?

Tevin: I really enjoy watching some television. I only watch a couple of shows, but by far my absolute favorite show is American Horror Story. I believe Ryan Murphy is a genius, and he’s truly done a great job with each and every season that airs. If I’m not watching TV, you can find me reading a book! I absolutely love books, and pretty much any good story such as Proverbs or fictional tall tales will interest me.

HC: What will you take away from the four years you’ve been here at VSU?

Tevin: The biggest thing I believe I’ve learned at VSU is that with faith and determination, anything is possible. People fail to realize that in college you get a BRAND NEW START. I love my high school, and everything about it, but college has given me more [opportunities] and chances to grow into the man I’m still hoping to become. Even though I’m 45 minutes away from home, I’ve learned so much, and I have so MUCH MORE to learn and grow in my last semester here at VSU.

HC: What are you most passionate about?

Tevin: I’m passionate about finding out people’s story. Whenever I meet someone I feel as though it is a big opportunity to learn about what they are about. Everyone comes from many different places, backgrounds, and even countries. I feel like getting to really know people’s backstories and life is a great thing; I hope to do that professionally someday. Being who I am, that career will never have to pay since that is truly what I am passionate about. 

Her Campus at Valdosta State.