Campus Celebrity Lucas Rocheleau ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Meet Lucas, an extremely talented artist who is well-versed in many forms of art. Even with such talent, he still remains humble. I got the opportunity to ask him a few questions, so here’s your chance to learn a little bit more about Lucas and check out his artwork!

All photos in this article are work done by Lucas Rocheleau.

Name: Lucas Rocheleau

Classification: Senior (Graduating in December)

Major: Art

Age: 26 (I need to get out of here).

Hometown: Valdosta, GA (Well, technically Hahira but whatever).

On Campus Involvement: I am a photography lab monitor and I can usually be found in the Fine Arts building until the wee hours of the morning.

HC: What form of art do you do?

LR: I would say that I am mainly a painter, but I dabble in photography when I have time to develop film (I take a lot more photos than I actually develop), I draw and I really enjoy ceramics though I’ve only spent a very small time with the medium.

HC: What inspires your art?

LR: On a basic level, life and death. I’m very interested in my relationship with my past, with my father and his brother’s passing away, with my own brother passing away and trying to find some sort of peace somewhere. I think that my work is perceived as dark, but I view it as a search for something. I leave figures unfinished and expose layers of the painting and it’s progress as a symbol of how broken humanity is and how none of us really know what’s going on. I question sexuality a bit, I think that’s important. I don’t try to make anything perfect or photo realistic, but I do try to communicate with the viewer on an emotional level. I don’t really look at the paintings once I finish them, the process is what’s important to me and once it’s finished it’s up to the viewer to pull something from it or disregard it. 

HC: At what age did you realize your artistic talent?

LR: I don’t think that I have any artistic talent to be honest. I started painting about two years ago (I think I’m in my third year painting) and before that I had to learn how to draw (and I still lack a lot of basic skills). I’ve always wanted to learn to paint, so that’s where I am now. I’m still learning a skill.

HC: Do you have any showcases or is your work in any galleries right now?

LR: I show fairly regularly at Artlanta gallery in Atlanta. I have paintings on the features at Valdosta Wake Compound and I showed my work in the senior showcase at the Fine Arts gallery here at VSU on November 15th. That same day myself and some of my friends (The BLVKKKSPACE Collective) curated a block party/art show at my house and my neighbors houses.

HC: Do you sell your artwork or do custom pieces? 

LR: Most things are for sale always and I do custom pieces as long as the idea isn’t lame and you aren’t a jerk.

HC: What do you want people to take from your projects?

LR: Whatever they want…I mean, I can understand a lot of people not being into what I do. I don’t care what you feel as long as you feel something.

HC: What is your dream job?

LR: Being a painter

HC: Who or what inspires you the most?

LR: My mom, she kills it even when I’m being a terrible person. Also, everyone at Valdosta Wake Compound because those dudes make their own dreams come true, it’s incredible what they’ve accomplished and are still accomplishing. Ale and Jake for always going hard. The BLVKKKSPACE. The entire faculty in the art department. So many of my peers are dominating right now and it really drives me, but I feel like I’ve been lazy lately. My girlfriend, Makenzie. Dirty Bird and the Flu, SIN, Colter Raines…these are all people in Valdosta that make this town a better place to be, such inspirational mothaluvahs. 

HC: What do you plan on pursuing after graduation?

LR: Painting

HC: How do you practice time management?

LR: Lots of coffee, but really I spend too much time managing my internet persona.

You can follow Lucas on Instagram @marystreetmayhem!

HCXO!

Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk