Campus Celebrity Brittany Hewitt ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Meet Brittany! She is one of the founding members of Uplifting Sistas, a blog that her and her friends started and evolved into a non-profit organization! Here’s your chance to meet Brittany and learn about the inspirations and steps she took!

Full Name: Brittany Vanessa Hewitt

Age: 22

Classification: Senior

Major: Speech Communication

Hometown: Snellville, GA

HC: What organizations are you involved in at VSU?

Brittany: I am a member of the Valdosta State chapter of NAACP, PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America) and GSA (Gay Straight Alliance). 

HC: Tell me about Uplifting Sistas:

BH: US is my baby. It started as a blog and has since evolved into a non-profit organization. I think it’s so important for women of color to have a safe space where they can laugh, cry and celebrate their accomplishments without the backlash that so often accompanies that. Uplifting Sistas, Inc. provides that space. 

HC: What inspired you ladies to start Uplifting Sistas?

BH: Malynda Dorsey, Amber Worthy, Brittany Mackey, Cenetta Baker and myself collectively started this organization. We were all watching Back Girls Rock on VH1 and started tweeting about how Black women needed someplace where they could be praised year round. A couple DM’s and a few meetings later, here we are! 

HC: How do you feel about what you’ve accomplished so far?

BH: I feel proud. I had a rocky start with my college experience. I didn’t know what I wanted to do career-wise, and even ended up on academic probation at one point. It took a lot to pull myself out of that dark place I was in, so being able to do that and help others in the process is a blessing and something I am absolutely grateful for. 

HC: What is your main goal for Uplifting Sistas?

BH: Ultimately, I want US to have a national presence. We are a small organization now, but eventually when we’re a little more stable I want us to be able to offer internships and scholarships for young women looking to advance professionally. 

HC: Who or what inspires you the most?

Brittany: I know everyone picks their mother as their inspiration, and I am no exception to that rule. My mom is blunt and doesn’t have an ounce of tact, but she always means well. She can turn shit to sugar in the blink of an eye. She is my real life superhero and I know for a fact I wouldn’t be walking across the stage on May 8, 2015 without her love and her unwavering support. 

HC: What do you have planned for the future of US?

BH: Our summer camp is in our immediate future. It’ll be a week long camp for girls 9-12 where we discuss hygiene, the importance of self-love and much more. It is currently scheduled for the third week of June tentatively at the Maceo Horne Learning Center here in Valdosta. 

HC: What do you plan on pursuing after you graduate?

BH: I want to go to graduate school to get my M.Ed in Higher Education Leadership. Afterwards I want to leave the country and travel for a year or two before officially starting my career. 

HC: Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?

BH: 10 years from now I see myself 20 lbs thinner, with perfect skin, flawless hair and top notch shoes meeting weekly with my best girls for cocktails and gossip in some unnamed city. I just want to be happy and fabulous wherever I’m at.

HC: How do you practice time management? Any tips?

BH: WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. I tell people often that if you don’t see me write it down, it’s not getting done. I keep a physical planner, I have 3 calendars in my room, and use my Outlook calendar to send reminders to my phone. My days are planned from when I wake up to when I go to sleep. I do try to allot for unexpected changes and slip ups, but I need structure.

Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk
President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Valdosta State, and a Mass Media major. Loves spaghetti and is currently waiting for someone to teach her how to play her guitar. Never meets a stranger. Hi :)