Campus Celebrity Allison Thorpe ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.
Meet Allison Thorpe, one of the hardest working Mass Media students I know! A transfer from FSU with a near-perfect GPA, Allison has excelled beyond measure here at VSU. You may know her from the Rec, where she used to teach yoga classes every week! I am grateful to know such a beautiful spirit, and now I am introducing her to you!

Name: Allison Thorpe
Age: 21
Class: Senior
Major: Mass Media
Hometown: Camden County, GA

What made you decide to come to VSU?
I knew it had the best hands-on Mass Media program in the state, and I’ve known since high school that I’ve wanted to be a part of the media industry. Also, nothing beats the palm trees! 

What internships have you had in the past?
I’ve worked for the city news station, Metro 17, as a reporter. I loved getting more involved in our city, and finding ways to inform citizens about what we could do to better Valdosta. ​

What internships or other opportunities are you currently involved with?
Right now I’m working as a videographing assistant at Video Production Services with the University. We film anything from sports, to concerts, to presidential speeches and talk shows. I’ve recently worked for CBS for a pre-season NFL game, and that taught me a lot about the professional world of media and sports. Outside of school and work, I do a lot of side projects, including recruitment videos and music festivals. 

What do you want to do once you graduate?
That’s a good question… after this semester I’ll have my Sports Announcing certificate so my path may be going in that direction, but who knows. I love every aspect of my major from filming, to editing, to directing, so I’m open to anything. 

What is your ultimate dream job?
Music has always been one of my passions, so working as a videographer for festivals would be the ultimate goal. 

Who has inspired you to take on all that you have?
Both of my parents have always been hard-workers. I remember coming home from school excited, telling my dad, “I made a 95 on my test!” and he would always say, “It’s not a 100.” They’ve always pushed me to do my best and give everything I have for what I love. 

What advice can you give college women in regards to preparing and applying to an internship?
Be professional and confident in your skills. If you give any task, no matter how small, 110%, your employer or professor will recognize it, and that one person could open even bigger doors. 

What’s your favorite quote?

“Keep your face always toward the sunshine – and shadows will fall behind you.” -Walt Whitman

President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Valdosta State, and a Mass Media major. Loves spaghetti and is currently waiting for someone to teach her how to play her guitar. Never meets a stranger. Hi :)