Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Valdosta Blog

Campus Curl Chronicles: Brittany Hewitt

By Lauren Everett
October 2, 2014 - 1:03am

Name: Brittany Hewitt Classification: Senior Major: Speech Communications (Public Relations emphasis) HC: How long have you been natural? BH: My last relaxer was in November of 2010; I big chopped in April of 2011. So, just shy of 4 years. HC: How would you describe your hair texture? READ MORE

Life, Love & College: 5 Signs That a Guy Wants a Relationship

By Marlaina 'Marlie' Williams
September 30, 2014 - 1:24am

In our twenties it’s a little hard to differentiate between the guys who really like us, and the guys who just want to slide into bed with us. After a while you want to stop playing the guessing game! So, I have compiled a list of 5 things you should look for to see whether or not a guy wants to be with you for more than just sex. READ MORE

Campus Curl Chronicles: Florence Williams

By Elena Mincy
September 29, 2014 - 12:37am

Name: Florence Williams Classification: Senior Major: Organizational Leadership Minor: Psychology Curl Type: 3C You may have seen the beautiful Florence Williams around campus or working hard in the VSU mailroom. If you have, chances are you were amazed by her lovely locks. Not only does Florence have gorgeous hair, but she also has a very outgoing personality and was willing to share her secrets to her beautiful curls! READ MORE

Life, Love & College: Sometimes, Friendships Change

By Melissa Alaniz
September 25, 2014 - 1:14am

Slumber parties, telling secrets, long phone calls, and laughing hysterically about nothing; oh, the perks of having a best friend! Every friendship has its own story. For some, it may have started back in second grade. It could have even started off bad with you two not liking each other over some petty drama. Whatever your story may be, it is beautiful. Like natural magnetism, my best friend and I were inseparable. We were always up to no good, but in school we would push each other to be better. From cheering each other on during hard exams to planning weekend adventures, we were always there for each other. READ MORE

Life, Love & College: How To Find Your Best Friend In College

By Jasmine Beltran
September 24, 2014 - 1:03am

It's a new semester, folks! So, what does that mean? NEW PEOPLE! If you're a freshman, you're probably overwhelmed with the amount of potential BFFs that can come your way. If you're an upperclassman, I know you've probably lost some friends that have transferred, or maybe you and a friend fell out. You and a friend could have even just grew apart over the summer. Well, I'm here to tell you that it's no big deal. READ MORE

Campus Curl Chronicles: Lauren Sims

By Lauren Everett
September 22, 2014 - 1:23am

Name: Lauren Sims Classification: Junior Major: Middle Grades Education Minor: Deaf Studies   HC: How long have you been natural? LS: I made my transition when I was a sophomore/junior in high school, so I’ve been natural for about 5 years. HC: How would you describe your hair texture? LS: My hair texture is a mix between 4a and 4b. When I transitioned, I didn’t do a big chop. I just flat ironed my hair every 2 weeks, grew it out to the length it was before, and stayed consistent with my trims. The problem in doing that was the heat, which weakened by natural curl pattern. READ MORE

Workout Sesh: 3 Group Fitness Classes to Try

By Emily Dyer
September 22, 2014 - 1:00am

When it comes to working out, one of everyone’s favorite sayings is, “I’ll just start tomorrow.” After a while tomorrow becomes next week, which then eventually leads to a month, then next thing you know it’s a year later and you still haven’t made it to the gym. In some cases you do end up making it to the gym on a regular basis, but the workouts may become tedious and routine. I was one of those people that worked out everyday, but eventually became tired of doing the same thing. That is when I discovered group fitness classes! The Valdosta REC center offers a variety of group fitness classes Monday through Friday. Here are just a few classes you should definitely check out if you want to get out of your workout routines and lose weight in a fun way...

Beauty & Brains: 4 Benefits of Wearing Weave/Extensions

By Tatyana Phelps
September 18, 2014 - 1:04am

I remember when I got my first sew-in. Talk about nervous! I know what you’re thinking—it’s just weave. What’s the big deal? Well, I’m sure we’ve all heard the stereotypes associated with girls who wear extensions. If you wear hair that isn’t yours, apparently you’re either bald, fake or have really short hair. I must admit that I didn’t want to be put into that category. But after a really bad hair experience, I had to give in. Hey, drastic times call for drastic measures! But after my first sew-in, I actually realized that wearing weave isn’t just for looks, it’s also really good for your hair! 1. It protects your hair from heat damage READ MORE

Michaela's Artist Spotlight: Maya Newsome

By Michaela Leung
September 17, 2014 - 1:45am

VSU junior Maya Newsome has been performing poetry for 5 years now. She is a regular performer at Open Mic Night with her fellow Deep Release Poetry Society members and has even self-published her own book of poems, titled Things I Wrote By the Window. On the 26th of this month she will be celebrating her book release at Grassroots Coffee House in downtown Valdosta. READ MORE

Beauty & Brains: Natural Nail Care

By Raven Poole
September 16, 2014 - 1:53am

Like a brand new hairstyle or freshly waxed brows, well-manicured nails are essential to a polished look. Your nails are like a work of art and while we all enjoy an eccentric shape, a pop of color, and the occasional jewel here and there, sometimes you just want to go back to the basics. Nudes are on-trend! They go with anything in your wardrobe and there's also a color to match almost every skin tone. READ MORE