Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Valdosta Blog

Michaela's Artist Spotlight: Maya Newsome

By Michaela Leung
September 17, 2014 - 1:45am

VSU junior Maya Newsome has been performing poetry for 5 years now. She is a regular performer at Open Mic Night with her fellow Deep Release Poetry Society members and has even self-published her own book of poems, titled Things I Wrote By the Window. On the 26th of this month she will be celebrating her book release at Grassroots Coffee House in downtown Valdosta. READ MORE

Beauty & Brains: Natural Nail Care

By Raven Poole
September 16, 2014 - 1:53am

Like a brand new hairstyle or freshly waxed brows, well-manicured nails are essential to a polished look. Your nails are like a work of art and while we all enjoy an eccentric shape, a pop of color, and the occasional jewel here and there, sometimes you just want to go back to the basics. Nudes are on-trend! They go with anything in your wardrobe and there's also a color to match almost every skin tone. READ MORE

Workout Sesh: Undergrad Fitness, The Ugly Truth

By Brisha Askew
September 16, 2014 - 1:03am

F i f t e e n. Who would have thought that the number 15 would take on such a new identity once we got to college? For the seniors out there, fifteen (#VSU15) is basically a sacred number. Let’s face it: May 2015 will be here before we know it! To my freshmen readers on the other hand, fifteen is probably a number that you’re less than thrilled to think about. Yeah, we’ve all been there, desperately ducking and dodging the notorious FRESHMEN FIFTEEN. I can’t promise that this nightmare is ever going to end. However, I can promise that if you seriously consider the secrets inside this article, you’ll have a much easier time dodging the bullet. READ MORE

Life, Love & College: 4 Ways to Make Your Life Healthier

By Ashlea Danielle Conner
September 15, 2014 - 1:22am

Everyone can use a lifestyle adjustment. While we're comfortable with our everyday routines, some of our habits may not be the healthiest. Here are 4 lifestyle changes that help you feel better and healthier in a big way. 1. More Sleep Everyone needs to sleep. While college is hectic, sleep is important. Your body needs sleep in order to maintain a healthy weight. Ideally, your body needs 6-8 hours of rest a night. READ MORE

Life, Love & College: Turning Hardships Into Art

By Geneva Crooks
September 12, 2014 - 12:10am

Inevitably, every day we as young women are faced with many different challenges and hardships. Things can sometimes get overwhelming dealing with relationships, jobs, school, friends, family, etc. Although life can get tough, beauty can be seen in anything if you just try to look at it from a different angle! Many celebrities and everyday girls, such as you and I, have found ways to turn their hardships into art. Famous Mexican artist Frida Kahlo created art from the corsets she had to wear to support her ruined spine after a streetcar accident. She successfully found a way to turn the thing in her life that was hurting her, into something beautiful. It was a way of expressing herself, and also something people around her could admire and enjoy....

Natural Hair Girls: Sumyr Boudreaux

By Lauren Everett
September 10, 2014 - 1:32am

Name: Sumyr Boudreaux Classification: Junior Major: Chemistry   HC: How long have you been natural? SB: I’ve been transitioning since my junior year of high school, but I would say I wasn’t completely natural until my freshman year of college. My curls are still a work in progress, though. HC: How would you describe your hair texture? READ MORE

The Everyday College Fashionista: Basic Business Attire

By Raven Poole
September 10, 2014 - 1:02am

You're in college now and at some point, whether it's for an interview, a meeting or attending an event, you're going to need to dress in business attire. A professional look is important, but it doesn't have to be boring; there's nothing wrong with a pop of color and a print here and there! Although everyone's idea of what's business appropriate is different, you can never go wrong with the basics. Blazer It's necessary for any wardrobe, but especially business. Whether you're dressing for business casual or formal, it's perfect for any event. Solids are the norm but there's nothing wrong with a tweed or even a floral print. READ MORE

Michaela's Artist Spotlight: Chuck Robinson

By Michaela Leung
September 10, 2014 - 1:00am

You may have seen VSU junior and rapper Chuck Robinson open up for Sevyn Streeter last spring. He definitely put on a show and got the crowd hype! You may also have seen him perform during the cypher or his music video for his song "Opaa" with fellow artist, Hollywood. Chuck has been rapping for 14 years now, stating, "I wrote my first rhyme in 2nd grade and I've been in love with it since." He wants his music to be heard and for everyone to be screaming "Opaa!" READ MORE

Workout Sesh: 5 Light and Easy Exercises to Do Before Bed

By Shakellia Lott
September 9, 2014 - 1:00am

Sometimes there just aren’t enough hours in a day! Especially if you’re a full-time student, active in multiple organizations around campus, or work a part time job. Although it’s important for our health, oftentimes going to the gym is last on our to-do list. Of course you may plan to work out and become the lean machine that you’ve always dreamed of becoming, but some days you’re just way too busy to squeeze in a two-hour gym session, and other days you’re just way too tired. So here, I’ve compiled 5 light and easy exercises for you to do right before you lay down for the night.   1. Leg lifts (10) READ MORE

Natural Hair Girls: 3 Easy Hairstyles for College Curlies

By Zenobia Harris
September 8, 2014 - 1:53am

College life can be stressful, but the last thing you want to struggle with on a busy day of classes is your hair! You were too tired to do anything to your hair the night before, and you wake up surrounded by a mess of curls that need to be tamed fast before you run off to class. We've all been there! Here are a few quick hairstyles to put your curly morning woes to rest!   1. Wash-and-Gos READ MORE