Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Valdosta Blog

Natural Hair Girls: Ways To Keep Your Hair Healthy

By Elena Mincy
September 2, 2014 - 1:15am

Many women are embarking on this natural hair journey and have realized that going natural is a lot more work than they originally thought. Many people think being natural is easy and doesn’t call for much maintenance, which is a common misconception. Keeping up your natural hair indeed is much work. I went through a struggling period with my hair and couldn’t figure out why it was not cooperating with me, so I did some research. READ MORE

The Everyday College Fashionista: Styling Kimonos

By Raven Poole
September 2, 2014 - 12:17am

Summer time means summer trends! The kimono, once known as the quintessential look for the flower child, is now the perfect garment to complete any wardrobe. Nicole Richie, Vanessa Hudgens and Kendall Jenner have all been seen wearing them. Whether you're at the beach, out for lunch, or on your way to class, you're making a statement wherever you go. With so many kimono styles its hard to pick just one, so we've put together some options to help inspire your look!   READ MORE

Life, Love & College: How to Get Over Him (The Right Way)

By Ariel Hairston
September 1, 2014 - 1:03am

It sucks when we meet someone who feels like the love of our life, only to find out he was merely a wolf in sheep's clothing. We recieved everything we could ever want in a significant other and a lot of what we didn't want, also. Other times he really was perfect after all, and it was our own actions that set the relationship aflame. Either way, the relationship has reached the end of its road. But this has happened so many times, and we've gotten through each and every one. What's different about this time? Perhaps our approach. Here is how you can get over him—the right way.   READ MORE

Life, Love & College: The Art of Forming Bonds

By Misti Allen
August 28, 2014 - 1:00am

A large part of the college experience is the social aspect. A student's main focus should be her schoolwork, of course, but no one can deny the appeal of making friends (even if it's only someone to sit with in the dining hall).  A speaker recently visited VSU and spoke with our marching band, and he highlighted a fact that I cannot stress enough: a band that plays together, stays together. This can be used in both musical and social terms. READ MORE

Michaela's Artist Spotlight: Konspiracy

By Michaela Leung
August 26, 2014 - 1:13am

VSU Junior Kevonne Byard goes by the stage name Konspiracy and has been rapping for 8 years now. Some of you may remember him from his performances at The Pre-Function 2 and at Rhymes and Rhythms in the Spring. He also had a single release during the MAG premiere of the short film “The Clue.” In April, he released his first project, EP Sweet Home which received plenty of positive feedback and was a step forward for him to show that he is taking his music seriously. Konspiracy lets the way he perceives life, as well as his experiences, inspire his music. “Some of my greatest songs and verses were written at 3 [or] 4 a.m. while I was up just reflecting on life,” he told me. READ MORE

The Everyday College Fashionista: Denim on Denim

By Raven Poole
August 25, 2014 - 1:02am

Between buying books, stocking up on food, and filling up our gas tank, shopping sometimes falls to the wayside. Some of us get our daily fix through blogs and magazines or aimlessly scrolling through fashion sites thinking, "That leather jacket would look so much better on me," only to glance in our wallet and continue to daydream. Fortunately, you can ball on a budget! Denim is in and three of the biggest names in pop culture are setting a trend that's affordable for everyone. Her Campus Valdosta wants you to be cute and while Kim, Rih and Bey's looks may be pricey, we're sharing these luxe for less! (But mostly because, who doesn't love a good fashion face-off?!) READ MORE

Life, Love & College: Why Going With The Flow Won't Always Work

By Ariel Hairston
August 25, 2014 - 1:01am

I was recently talking to a guy I was strongly attracted to. He was very nice looking, well put-together and easygoing. I liked him and began staying over a few nights out of the week. We formed a connection and I thought that maybe it could lead somewhere, so I decided that before I got my feelings involved I would make sure a possible relationship was in the cards for him. He said, “I’m not looking for anything. If something happens, then great. But I’m just going with the flow.”  READ MORE

Beauty & Brains: 5 Frizz Be Gone Tips to Beat the Heat

By Ashlea Danielle Conner
August 25, 2014 - 12:56am

Every girl at one time or another has had a BAD hair day. No matter how hard you try, it seems like there are days where your hair takes on a life of its own and turns into a complete frizz ball. Humidity plays a huge part in your fizzy hair. Extremely hot climates, like the infamous Valdosta humidity, singlehandedly causes frizz to occur. But there are ways to beat the heat! Here are 5 tips to help tame your frizzy mane in the heat. 1. Get a Good Haircut READ MORE

Michaela's Artist Spotlight: Abriel's Release Party for New Single "Temptation"

By Michaela Leung
July 2, 2014 - 10:43am

After the success of her first single “Make Me Fall” (which was played onV96 and Underground Radio Station), VSU senior and Campus Celebrity Abriel Blake is back at it again! Her new single “Temptation” will be released July 6th at 8:00 p.m. To celebrate the release, she's having a release party at Valdosta's very own Creekside Tavern. READ MORE

Life, Love & College: Why Feminism Is Important

By Jasmine King
May 9, 2014 - 10:10pm

In today's society, it is becoming more and more common place for women to be discriminated against. As ladies, we need to let men know what we will and will not accept. You don't have to go crazy with a shocking political statement.    But in the words of Beyonce, the simple assertion of...  READ MORE