Being a Modern Day Independent Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Today, there are more women in college in comparison to men and most of these collegiate women have one purpose and purpose only, to become successful professionals. However, being an ambitious woman is not always easy. Here’s a sneak peak at the everyday life a modern day independent woman.  

Living with workaholism  

Good things comes to those who work for them, correct? Which explains why many ambitious women spend more time at work than anywhere else. Although the outcome is great, being a workaholic has its price. As a workaholic you don’t have many time to spare on a social life or pretty much anything else.  This can become a burden when you begin to miss out on many things whether it’s a friends birthday, or an important family events  

High standards 

As an ambitious woman, you hold many high standards for yourself and give little room for excuses. These high standards can influence your romantic relationships making it extremely difficult to settle down. You tend to make a list of nearly impossible standards for a man to meet which leaves you frustrated when prospective relationships fail to meet them.  

Little or no social life  

After working all day and juggling school in between, at the end of the day when you finally lay your head on your very comfortable bed, it can be nearly impossible to get up. There are times when you just do not have the energy to spend some time with your friends, and a little time to relax is always greatly deserved.  

You versus society  

We live in a society where a woman’s actions are put under a microscope. Being independent and not following society’s view on how a woman should act can create many obstacles difficult to overcome. Whether its because settling down and becoming a mother isn’t on your mind anytime soon or just something you don’t plan on doing doesn’t mean you’re a bad woman. Luckily, you have the power to decide what you want to do with your life and its always good to not let other’s opinions bring your down. 

Although being an independent woman may not always be easy, you must admit that overcoming all the obstacles and being able to reach your goals is always worth it. Keep on striving to and don’t let nothing not even yourself keep you from being successfully happy.  

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.