emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Become The Perfect Penny Pincher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It may sound crazy to be planning this early, but the Holidays are quickly approaching! If you’re not careful this season could be less joyful and more stressful than you expected. All it takes is a little planning and some minor budgeting and you can be the most thoughtful Kris Kringle. 

Limit the number of times you eat out monthly. 

While it may sound like a good idea to hit up every taco Thursday and God knows your girls would be lost if you stopped coming to happy hour on Friday, sometimes your wallet would prefer you say no. Plan your outings for the month in advance. Dedicate yourself to a couple of evenings out a month instead of a couple evenings a week and you’ll be surprised by how much you save.

Avoid buying name brand items.

Purchase generic items whenever possible. Whether it’s makeup, groceries, or clothing, generic is usually just as good as the name brand and it’s way easier on the wallet.

Sell! 

Why Spring clean only once a year? Selling those old things you no longer need or use is a quick way to save money and there are tons of sites like Poshmark or Craigslist that cater to the seller/buyer market in your area.

Learn to cook.

So what you’ve never been a Paula Dean in the Kitchen! Now is as good a time as any to learn and there are a limitless number of quick and easy recipes to be located on any social media. Next time you’re casually browsing Facebook save some recipes to add to the grocery list. Cooking allows for you to save money and you’ll have leftovers that can easily stretch for other meals in the week.

Sometimes we don’t think about the little things we do that can eventually hit our bank account in a big way. That Starbucks cup every morning could easily turn into that special gift you were hoping to buy by the end of the month with a little self-restraint! 

HCXO! 

Tayla Means is a PR Girl working to get her Bachelors in communication at Valdosta State University. When she's not overwhelmed with the duties of senior year, she likes to take time out to enjoy the company of good friends in the great outdoors. This Ohio native, aspires to work in Brand Management and Hospitatlity from a location that feeds into her passion for travel and adventure. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.