6 Ways to Balance Work and School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

So we’ve all struggled with this thought process: be broke and have all the free time in the world, or get a job so you can have money to splurge on Forever21 whenever you please. If you’re anything like me, cute clothes trump free time anyday. Working and taking classes simultaneously can be a hassle and cause stress you really don’t need. Here are a few tips to help avoid getting overwhelmed with your schedule.

1. Stay Organized

Staying organized is the key to your success! Have a planner or calendar that you check daily can help to keep your life in order. Put all your assignments and work schedules on it so that everything you need to keep track of is in one place. It’s easy to forget all that you have to do when you have a lot on your plate.

2. Don’t Stretch Yourself Too Thin

It’s great to get involved while in college, for networking purposes or just getting connected with your peers. It enhances your college experience, which is why many of us join organzations. Keep in mind that you can’t be everywhere at once. Don’t make too many obligations. Juggling a social life, an organzation, school AND work is a bit much. Pace yourself!

3. Time Management

Another crucial factor to hold it all together. If you can, do assignments ahead of time. Prolonging them only bears down on your workload. It’s also important to make sure you’re not working too much. As a working college student, you should only be working about 25 hours or less a week. You always need to make sure you have plenty of time to study and complete your assignments. Although having money is nice, remember education comes first. You’ve come too far to mess it now! I know you’re thinking, “Without money how am I supposed to buy that new MK bag I saw on sale this week?” Passing up on a sale would keep me up at night too, but scholastics is the number one priority. Besides, Christmas will be here before you know it!

4. Balance Your Social Life

We all have that one friend that has their way of survivng without having a job and gets to have their cake and eat it too. They get all their work done while maintaining a stellar social life and you can’t help but envy them. How many times have you looked at them and thought, “I wish I didn’t have to work”? What works for them might not work for you, so if having a job is must you have to keep your head on straight. There will be events you’ll miss out on and it’ll seem like the end of the world, but I promise it’s not! One of the best things about college is that there’s always going to be something going on. You won’t be working all the time so there are things you’ll be able to do. Keep that in mind so you don’t feel so negatively about working. On the bright side, at least you’ll have money to do things when you get that time off!

5. Manage Stress

Don’t get too bogged down keeping up with everything. Take some time for yourself: go for run if it’s nice out, read a good book, or watch your favorite movie on Netflix. It’s imperative you take care of yourself so you don’t get burned out. Even if it’s just for a few minutes, it’s good for the mind, body and soul.

6. Keep Going

Your schedule may get chaotic and at times you’ll feel like you’re going to lose your head. Don’t give up! Eventually you’ll find your rhythm and be able to get a handle on everything. It’ll be worth it in the end! Stay strong!

HCXO

I'm Felicia Burnett! I am a sophomore at Valdosta State University. My major is Exercise Physiology but I have a deep passion for writing!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.