6 Podcasts You Should Be Listening To!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I am not a big TV watcher and I barely have the time to watch Netflix. I don’t even have a TV in my room. So, when I was introduced to podcasts, I felt like I had finally found the thing for me. I can listen to it while driving, doing my homework, or getting dressed in the morning without getting too distracted or hearing a bunch of stuff I don’t want to here. It’s basically the better version of the radio because I am able to listen to things detailed to my particular interests. I love it.

Podcasts give me the entertainment I’m looking for without the obsession that comes with watching my favorite TV shows (For example watching The Walking Dead for HOURS).

As a busy college student who likes to use her time wisely while still enjoying things, I think you will all love the convenience and topics of these podcasts!

1.       Hey, Girl – Alex Elle Hey, Girl is a podcast dedicated to sisterhood and storytelling. Alex Elle sits down with different women and learn more about their stories. The main message in this podcast is self-care. I absolutely adore checking in with this podcast on Sundays while doing homework.

2.       Black Girl in Om – Lauren Ash and Deun Ivory

Black Girl in Om is a wellness, self-care, and self-love centered podcast for women of color hosted by Lauren Ash and Deun Ivory. They interview different women of color who practice in different wellness centered industry. I love this podcast because I am introduced to WOC who don’t fall into the stereotypical representation we see on TV; it’s really a breath of fresh air.

3.       Story Podcast – STORY  

Story Podcast is a podcast for creatives, more specifically: writers. The guests are all creatives sharing their strategies for tapping into creative energy, while also sharing motivation to keep doing the things that we love. I love this podcast, especially when I’m lacking inspiration for whatever projects I may be working on.  

4.       Therapy for Black Girls –  Joy Harden Bradford

Therapy for Black Girls is a weekly conversation about mental health, personal development, and being your best self. It’s hosted by Dr. Joy Harden, who is a licensed Psychologist in Atlanta, Ga. My favorite thing about this podcast is that it is working to remove the taboo against mental health found in POC families, and providing space for POC to discuss mental health.  

5.    Ted Talks – TED

I think we all should be familiar with Ted Talks, but if not: Ted Talks is a huge conference where the world’s leading thinkers and doers go to share their amazing ideas. If you don’t listen to any other podcast on this list, I think you should listen to this.  It’s a wonderful way to learn.  

6.   Channel 7 Podcast – SE7EN

Channel 7 Podcast is a podcast interviewing hard working men and women pursuing success in different industries. My most favorite thing about this podcast is the fact that the guests are in my peer group and making impressive moves. Seven asks the questions that sheds more light on their journeys to get where they are. I love this podcast because it keeps me motivated and inspired.

Markesia Barron is a senior at Valdosta State University. She majors in Middle Grades Education concentrated in Language Arts and Reading. After graduation, she plans to become a middle school Language Arts teacher in the Metro Atlanta area. Markesia enjoys writing, reading, super-hero movies, and meditating outside. She's a big Beyonce fan and self-care enthusiast.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.