5 Ways To Shut Down A Catcaller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Catcalling is when someone makes a whistle, shout, or sexual comment to a woman passing by. Our society tells “attractive” women that they should expect to get catcalled, while the “not so attractive” women should be happy for the attention. Getting catcalled is never flattering, in fact, it’s uncomfortable and that’s not okay. If you ever just so happen to get catcalled, here are a couple of ways to shut down that form of “flattery”.

1. Ignore them

Here’s one for the shy woman or the woman who just doesn’t have time to school a man on why catcalling is not a form of flattery. No man deserves your time if his way of getting your attention is yelling ‘hey baby’.

2. Middle Fingers Up

Here’s to the savage woman who doesn’t care if she gets labeled as a b*tch. Tell that boy bye! Sorry… not sorry.

3. Calmly Schooling the Catcaller

When some men catcall women, they are unaware that it is a form of harassment. If you have enough time on your hands and you’re feeling generous to share some knowledge with a man who thinks he is “complimenting” you, take this approach. Teach the man that catcalling is never okay and it makes women feel uncomfortable.

4. Telling Off the Catcaller

While some men are unaware that catcalling is a form of harassment… others damn well know it is. It’s usually the ones making vulgar sexual comments. These are the kind of men that need to be put in their place real quick. Let that jerk of a man know that form of harassment can get his ass kicked! 

5. The Physical Clapback

This is for the catcaller who got just a little bit too close to you. As if catcalling isn’t already uncomfortable for women. If the catcaller lays a hand on you and you’re uncomfortable, you have the right to defend yourself. You can calmly remove his hand(s) from your body, pepper spray him, slap him, etc. 

HCXO!

I'm Jessie Thomas, a junior in college. I'm a fun loving girl who loves music and fashion! Someday I hope to be successful in the entertainment industry.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.