5 Ways to Find the Adventure in You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Deep down we all crave consistency but consistency doesn’t help us grow. When we decide to step out of our comfort zones we begin to feel vulnerable and maybe even insecure. College is the time where you discover who you truly are and what you are capable of. You will never find out what you are capable of by spending all of your free time sitting at home binge watching Netflix. I believe that the greatest lessons occur outside of the classroom. With that being said I’m going to challenge you to do some things that you would normally never do.

1. Do something that terrifies you.

Maybe you have a fear of heights, social anxiety or whatever it may be I am challenging you to step out on a ledge. Even if it’s baby steps, get up and do it.

2. Do something you love.

Sing at the top of your lungs and dance like there is no one watching. At the end of the day the only opinion that matters is your own. Hold nothing back and give it your all.

3. Do something generous.

Do a good deed for someone that can’t pay you back. Don’t do it for the bragging rights, do it because you genuinely want to. Volunteer at a nursing home, animal shelter, or a homeless shelter.

4. Do something alone.

Today we are never truly alone with some many connections to the world around us because of the internet and social media. Turn it all off. Spend a day pampering yourself, reading a book, or cooking for yourself without any technological distraction.

5. Do some traveling.

Explore your town, state, country, and the world. You don’t need a million dollars to travel. Go somewhere in town you’ve never been. You’d be surprised with how many places in your hometown that you’ve yet to discover.

Adventures last a lifetime but many people have this weird perception that adventures can only occur in an exotic location. Adventure is outside of your front door, it’s when you pull your face from your phone and do something that deep down you’ve always wanted to try. Find the adventure in you.

“If it’s both terrifying and amazing then you should definitely pursue it.” Erada Swetlana

HCXO!

Takiya Jackson is a senior studying organizational communication at Valdosta State University. She was born and raised in South Georgia. She is an adrenaline junkie, aspiring road tripper, and food connoisseur.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.