5 Signs That You Should Probably Swipe Left: A Guide To Successful Tinder-ing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I have heard so many horror stories from girls about their Tinder experiences. Messages from guys who just want to hook up. Meeting with a guy and him being a total creep. All of that. But my experience with Tinder has been pretty good. I have only had a handful of bad dates. (Literally, like 4?) Even if the dates I went on didn’t lead to second dates (and plenty of them didn’t), I was able to enjoy myself without coming across too many creeps.

So I have self-titled myself The Master Swiper (HAHA). What makes my Tinder experience much more enjoyable, in my opinion, is that there are certain things that I take as a sign to swipe left.

(Also, keep in mind that I’m mostly joking about these things, so please try to remain lighthearted.)  

1. He has pictures with his shirt off.

Listen, sis I know his abs are sexy and that makes you want to swipe right, but one thing I have realized since MySpace days is that most guys who take pictures with their shirts off and choose to use them as profile pictures are conceited douche bags. Those are guys who are going to ask you to come over and watch Netflix on the first date.

2. He has “God first” in his description/bio.

We all want a good wholesome man who loves God, but those “God first” guys are usually the most devilish of them all. They try to trick you by having a scripture or something about God in their bios but don’t fall for it. Issa trap. Run.

3. He only has 1 or 2 pictures.

This guy is ugly in real life sis. Period.

​​4. He doesn’t have anything in his bio.

Those guys who just type a quick “you can just ask me anything you want to know about me”, are just on Tinder to hook up. He didn’t even have the audacity to write any information about himself. What he likes to do. What his major is. This guy is the type to ask to play 21 questions, and his first question be “Are you a virgin?”

​​5. The song he chose for his “theme song” is trash.

I don’t trust any man with bad taste in music. It’s a sure sign that he doesn’t have good taste in anything else. Seriously. If you guys aren’t musically compatible, I doubt you would be compatible anywhere else in life. (And if the song he chose says something like “f**k these b*****s……don’t give him the time of day.)

And there we go! Some tips to help you be a little bit more shallow than you would be in real life lol. Remember, on Tinder, it’s okay to judge a book by its cover.

-HCXO

Markesia Barron is a senior at Valdosta State University. She majors in Middle Grades Education concentrated in Language Arts and Reading. After graduation, she plans to become a middle school Language Arts teacher in the Metro Atlanta area. Markesia enjoys writing, reading, super-hero movies, and meditating outside. She's a big Beyonce fan and self-care enthusiast.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.