5 Books Every Black Woman Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

1.    Assata by Assata Shakur

The story of Assata Shakur. An autobiography about a strong black woman who fought for the lives of many African Americans today. She goes down in history as one of the FBI’s most wanted and remains missing even today. A must read.

2.    Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan

Though the movie is considered a classic, the book is not far behind. A story about friendship, love, and revenge. This book will definitely hit home for a lot of women.

3.    Their Eyes were watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Their Eyes were watching God is deemed one of the most important works in the twentieth century. It’s a southern love story of freedom always coming at a cost. This book was ahead of its time but is still popular today over 80 years later. 

4.    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Henrietta Lacks was an African American woman who died at the age of 31, due to cancer. Lacks was the parent of the HeLa cell line. Which aided numerous medical breakthroughs. This book tells the story of Henrietta Lacks and the unjust experimentation of African Americans.

5.    On Her Own Ground: The Life And Times Of Madam C.J. Walker by A’Lelia Bundles

Madam C.J. Walker is marked in history as the mother of the hot comb and black hair care products. Along with her groundbreaking discovery came the notion that black women can own and operate their own companies. From the daughter of slaves to a multi-millionaire, this story is sure to inspire anyone.

HCXO!

Erin Turner is originally from Los Angeles, California. She attends Valdosta State University as an english/journalism major. Her dream is to become an editor for a hip hop magazine. She enjoys listening to jazz and rap, reading magazines, and being around family. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram: wsstco
Her Campus at Valdosta State.