This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Everyone knows that coconut oil can be used for just about anything! In its natural and unrefined form, coconut oil is full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Although it’s known for being a rich source of saturated fat and used in cooking, it has some of the best uses in the bathroom as a beauty product. It contains Vitamin E and Lauric Acid and promotes healthy skin, hair, and general health. Here are a few ways you didn’t know that you could use coconut oil:

1. Hair Conditioner

If you heat up some coconut oil and put it on your damp or dry hair it can serve as a deep conditioner or a pre-poo as a hot oil treatment. After rinsing the oil out, you can reapply a small amount to keep your hair soft. For curly styles, coconut oil is also known for smoothing out frizzy hair.

2. Night Cream

Coconut Oil is known for its benefits to dry, wrinkled, or sagging skin. What I love most about coconut oil is that it promotes water retention so your skin always looks supple and fresh. It is moisturizing, but not heavy or greasy at all. A lot of people keep theirs in the fridge so that the consistency and temperature are just like a cold cream.

3. Makeup Remover

Using a cotton ball and just a little bit of coconut oil is one of the most gentle and effective ways to remove mascara and stubborn eye shadow. After removing the makeup, apply cold water to your skin to lock in the moisture.

4. Shaving Cream 

Using coconut oil right before you shave makes shaving quick and painless. I’ve found that using oils instead of soap or a cream prevents redness and hair bumps. While you’re in the shower, you can also use the oil as you bathe.

5. Makeup Brush

Cleaner Coconut oil is perfect for people who clean their makeup brushes on a regular basis. Combine both two parts soap and one part of coconut oil into a bowl and mix it with water. Coconut oil protects the hairs on your brushes from becoming weak and drying out, helping them last longer.

You can go ahead and add these five home remedies to your long list of uses for organic coconut oil, and thanks us later!

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.