This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

With the weather changing and temperatures dropping, our hair tends to go through some changes as well around this time of the year. Maybe you’ve noticed that lately your hair is a bit more dry than usual; I know I have! This is because cold air and wind are actually pretty damaging to your hair. Don’t let your hair get too dry—that can cause a lot of breakage.

I’ve found that using a few cooking ingredients around the home and making a couple changes to my normal hair routine actually helps keep my hair extremely moisturized in these cold, harsh temperatures.

1. Honey

I know what you’re probably thinking: honey is sticky and super messy, so why would you want to put it in your hair? Well actually, honey is a great ingredient for nourishing and enriching hair. What’s even better about honey is that it’s great care for your hair without breaking the bank. As a matter of fact, my honey costs only $1.99!

You don’t have to go out and spend tons of money to get the best hair care products, especially if you already have some right in your kitchen cabinet. Adding just one tablespoon of honey to your hair can do wonders for you.

2. Virgin Olive Oil

If you’re anything like me, you hate using any type of oil in your hair. It weighs the hair down, and if too much is used, it makes the hair look like a shiny, stringy mess. I’ll admit that I was a bit skeptical about using the olive oil in the mixture.

Using only a very small amount (1 teaspoon to be exact) helps keep those horrible flakes away that result from a dry scalp and helps mend split ends. It also turns dry, brittle hair into soft locks and adds a very subtle, natural shine. Your hair will become stronger and less prone to breakage.

3. Mayonnaise

Yes—the thing that you use to add flavor and pizazz to your sandwiches and burgers is even better used as a hair care product than a condiment. Mayo is a great way to add moisture to your hair. It repairs damaged hair and prevents breakage. It also adds shine and body to your hair. Who doesn’t love a nice, fluffy ‘do? Combine the tablespoon of honey, teaspoon of olive oil and a cup of mayonnaise in a bowl, apply to your hair, and you’re on your way to a healthier head of hair!

4. Co-wash

Co-washing means to use conditioner only in your hair—no shampoo. Surprisingly, shampoo is actually a pretty harsh hair product. If you shampoo too often, it can be very drying and damaging to your hair. It is good to have what I like to call “co-wash days.”

At least every other time you wash your hair, try using conditioner only. This is especially useful around this time of the year. Some brands/lines of hair products actually have specific co-wash products. However, any conditioner will suffice. Moisturizing conditioners are even better to use.

Her Campus at Valdosta State.