This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Watching TV shows when they premiere on television is a rare occurrence in recent times. Instead, quick access to shows and movies is provided through Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV. It’s a good thing those providers do allow us to call up a wide variety of entertainment on demand considering we’re pretty busy working, being studious, and not behaving like couch potatoes. Even the most Renaissance-y woman of them all deserves a quick break between doing her everyday duties. Escaping from responsibility is just a must sometimes. Even if it is spent laughing or scooting closer and closer to the edge of your seat. Instead of growing increasingly interested in your Snapchat followers’ lives, why not become emotionally invested in the supporting character in a hit television show?! 

While I follow many shows closely, I’ve narrowed it down to a top 4 (you should watch at least once–but if we’re keeping it real, they’re so good you’re going to want to keep watching)

1. The Catch:

This new show, another show cultivated in Shondaland by Shonda Rhimes herself, will engulf you from the start. She wasted no time capturing her audience’s attention this time and I mean that in the best way possible. From episode 1, the private investigator and lead actress will pull you into her world as she seeks answers, for her clients and for herself.

2. Fresh Off the Boat:

This is a relatively new show that follows an Asian, hip-hop-loving boy and his family, set in the 1990’s in the suburbs of Orlando, Florida. There’s the perfect amount of humor and irony poured into this one and it’s a great distraction from the intensity you may feel after watching shows like Grey’s Anatomy or Prison Break.

3. Rosewood:

It didn’t take much of anything to draw my attention, Morris Chesnut did that all himself. As if that’s not all the incentive you need to watch, he appears shirtless quite often. Just kidding, I mean he really does, but the show has much more to offer than a hot bod! He works closely with law enforcement as a pathologist in Miami. The roles in this new TV hit aren’t predictable at all and there’s new shenanigans every week.

4. Casual:

A Hulu Original, particularly for more mature audiences, Casual is about a recent divorcee and her bachelor brother teaming up to raise her unruly daughter. It’s kind of an odd show, but it’s perfect for binge-watching. By the time you get to the end of the tenth episode, you’re going to be ready to coast on to #11, but in order to save you the disappointment that I experienced, there isn’t one. If there is, it has yet to be posted. 

I am NOT encouraging anyone to neglect their work just to watch these shows, but if you don’t have much else to do then go right ahead and have a grand old time. Grab the nearest piece of technology that allows you to stream these shows and watch to your heart’s desire. Although, I do promote stretching every three episodes you watch so you can trick your muscles into thinking that you’re not being a total bum. I purposely chose shows that won’t make you totally emotionally unstable. If you’re looking for one that will, I would suggest Private Practice (another Shonda Rhimes creation); it’s sure to mess you up real good. Also, try not to become a hermit because you’re so busy watching your shows. Respond to some text messages, interact with a person–yelling at the screen doens’t count, and maybe give someone a hug or something. When you have lots of shows at your disposal, things get a little dangerous. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

-HCxo!

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.