3 Natural Hair DIY Protein Treatments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Natural hair products can be extremely expensive to say the least. Too much money has been spent on that summer vacation you’ve been planning and your pockets are screaming at you. To make matters worse, the humidity just keeps rising. No one likes the feeling of their curls turning dry and brittle. Now, the question is, how do you keep your tresses flourishing on a low budget? The answer is to look in your kitchen! Following your shampoo or co-wash routine, you should take a look. I guarantee you have at least one of these items just sitting around your house!

1. Eggs

Seriously, it is that simple. First you should section your hair into either four or six plaits. When I am following this routine, I like for my hair to be damp, but not soaking wet because it calls for less of a mess. I then crack open two eggs and whisk them in order to evenly distribute the yolk. I unravel each plait one at a time, use my fingers to run the egg white through my hair, and then plait the section back up. After all sections have been coated, I place a deep conditioning cap over my head and let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour or until the egg has dried. I then wash the egg out with cold water (not hot because the egg will cook) and continue with my conditioning process.

2. Mayonnaise

I will say I was pretty hesitant to use mayonnaise only because it doesn’t have the most pleasant smell. However, I was pretty amazed with the results! Mayonnaise contains eggs, amino acids, and other oils that aid in nourishing your hair and giving it that anticipated shine. To get started with this process, you should section your hair into four or six plaits. Next, you should unravel each plait one at a time and evenly distribute the mayonnaise throughout each section. After this step has been completed, place a deep conditioning cap over your head and let the mayonnaise sit in your hair for 30 minutes to an hour. Now, you can rinse the mayonnaise out and continue with your deep conditioning process.

3. Honey

If you find yourself not liking the smell of mayonnaise or eggs, another great way to lock in moisture is by using organic raw honey. When using honey, a medium is required in order to allow for easy spreading. Otherwise, you will be left with a big sticky mess. In order to thin the honey out, I add a little water and then stir to determine if it is ready or not. If I feel as if it is still too thick, I continue to add and then stir until I have reached my desired consistency. I then section my hair into either four or six plaits and begin running the honey through my hair, section by section. If I have reached the last plait and still have quite a bit honey left over, I then massage the honey into my scalp because honey is full of nutrients that feed hair follicles. What better place to promote hair growth than the scalp? Next, I place a deep conditioning cap over my head and let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour. I then rinse the honey out with warm water and continue with my conditioning process.

Healthy hair can be expensive, but being innovative will save your pockets! Check your kitchen for these items and maybe you could try combining all three!

HCXO

Jamesia Folston is an Early Childhood Education student at Valdosta State University. She is a 23 year old alternative music addict who enjoys traveling, thrifting, and creating. She aspires to become an educator abroad and globetrotter.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.