10 Series to Watch on Netflix Over Thanksgiving and Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It’s getting to be that cold season where all we really want to do is snuggle up with our dog or boyfriend, drink some Starbucks, and binge watch some Netflix. But as any frequent Netflix user knows, choosing what to watch always seems to be the biggest difficulty.

They’ve got everything from Hercules to Mall Cops: Mall of America (a total classic), so it’s best to pick the best shows you can because once you start, it’s about d*mn near impossible to stop. So here’s a compilation of 10 of the best shows to watch on Netflix. (Note: they’re not in any particular order of their greatness).

1. Parks and Recreation

A show about people who work at a park? Um, YES PLEASE. Also, Amy Poehler is the star, so like, how could it possibly not be fantastic?

IMDb rating: 8.6/10

2. Breaking Bad

This show has won tons of awards, so it would be ridiculous not to mention it. There’s so much drama and humor and emotion all in one show, what more could you possibly ask for?!

IMDb rating: 9.6/10

3. Gossip Girl

It’s obviously a show most girls can enjoy if you’re in the mood for some drama and some boys. Or if you’re in the mood to be incredibly envious of Chuck and Blair’s love.

IMDb rating: 7.4/10

4. Arrested Development

Quite literally one of the most clever and hilarious shows out there. It was even brought back for a fourth season by Netflix. Plus you get to see multiple characters pretend to be a chicken. Could it get any better?

IMDb rating: 9.1/10

5. Scrubs

It’s a show about a bunch of doctors, yet it does the impossible and makes us actually laugh in a hospital, or even see it as a super fun place. Somehow this show can make us both cry from laughter and from the drama. That’s skill.

IMDb rating: 8.5/10

6. New Girl

You would think making a show about a girl living with a bunch of guys would be… well, off putting to say the least. But to our surprise, it’s actually quite hilarious. Sadly, the whole series isn’t on Netflix because it’s still airing, but it’s there for those who want to catch up!

IMDb rating: 7.9/10

7. Orange Is the New Black

I couldn’t get away with making a list of shows to watch on Netflix without actually mentioning a Netflix original. But really, it’s actually quite brilliant. I mean, come on. Secretly we all want to know what it’s like to be in prison, but nobody wants to actually go there. Once you start, this show it’s absolutely addicting. The downfall? Waiting a whole year for the next season!

IMDb rating: 8.5/10

8. How I Met Your Mother

Honestly, you won’t find any other show out there with better love life advice. Or life advice, for that matter. It’s nearly impossible to watch this show and not get attached to the characters. You are lying if you say you didn’t get emotional at least once while watching this series!

IMDb rating: 9/10

9. The Office

I’m gonna say that this one takes the cake. I’m fairly sure that no one could have seen a show about people working in a paper company to be so darn good. It almost makes working in an office look… fun. No, wait. It definitely does. Feel free to skip over the seasons where Michael Scott is gone. No judgement here.

IMDb rating: 8.8/10

10. Animal Odd Couples (Bonus)

Come on. You’re going to tell me a show about tons of animals and their love for other animals is not worth watching? I can’t think of a better way to spend my Sunday!

IMDb rating: 7.4/10

So take your pick, grab a blanket and some hot chocolate, and enjoy your Netflix binge! Unfortunately, we’re still waiting on Friends to make it to Netflix. But eventually the requests will wear them down, right?

Her Campus at Valdosta State.