Why Everyone Should Attend a Friendsgiving During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

Tis the season! The season of tasty food, warm memories and being thankful. As students head back home to celebrate the holidays with family members, some are preparing for the list of questions family members will probably hound us with. Questions such as “Who are you dating? Are you taking care of yourself? Are you getting enough sleep? Who is that boy in this picture I saw of you online?” The list could go on and on. Don’t get me wrong, spending the holidays with family members can be very fun, but sometimes, it can get a little hectic and chaotic. For those dreading that long list of questions and other family drama, I have a solution for you: Friendsgiving. 

Have you heard of it? Have you attended in one? I have and it has now become an annual tradition among my friends and I. The reason friendsgiving is so amazing is because you get to eat that wonderful thanksgiving food without having to answer those dreadful family questions. At friendsgiving, you’re surrounded by close friends, co-workers and neighbors all coming together for an afternoon/evening of relaxation, eating, drinking and fun. You get a chance to see who has a secret cooking talent, who probably should stay away from cooking and who surprises everyone with an award winning dish. Friendsgiving is a stress-free holiday that gives us a chance to mentally prepare ourselves for the actual holiday dinner. Instead of going around the table asking everyone to share their highs and lows in life, at friendsgiving, everyone around the table shares funny stories about customers they deal with or they reminisce about that one night one of their friends almost went home with the bartender. It’s filled with laughter, care-free conversations and joy. 

This holiday season, pick a date and celebrate friendsgiving. It’ll be a story you will cherish forever. Even if you almost set your apartment on fire, everyone gets way too tipsy off of wine or the main dish ends up getting dropped on the floor, the night will not be ruined. You are surrounded by people who like you, are learning from mistakes and getting aquatinted with this crazy thing we call life. 

Just a 22-year-old Wisconsin college student with a whole lot of Minnesota pride. You can catch me serving coffee, watching netflix and exploring as many new places as I can.