Money Saving Apps to Get You Through the Spring Semester!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

Spring semester starts the moment the clock strikes midnight on January 23rd and ends on May 20th. That’s 117 days of spending money on food, clothes and we can’t forget the inevitable spring break trip (does a trip to the tanning salon count). We’re here to help you save the $$ you need to cover day-to-day expenses plus that souvenir t-shirt your mom asked you to bring back for her.

Postmates

This food delivery service will change your life! Don’t have time to run to Oakland Gyros on your study break? Hit up Postmates to get your food delivered anywhere in the Milwaukee area for a small fee. And for all my basic college girls out there, Starbucks is available for delivery. Although this is not a money saving app, it’s a time saver!

RetailMeNot

Basically twitter for retail stores, RetailMeNot provides you with deals and promotions happening in stores and exclusive RetailMeNot coupons for their customers! Scroll through the “Nearby Deals” section or search your go-to store for all current in-store and online promotions. Enter the code given online or show the sales associate in the store.

Coupon Cabin

How does getting paid to shop sound? Earn 4% cash back at Kohl’s, Walgreens, and Groupon by creating an account with Coupon Cabin.  Coupon Cabin will come in handy when you NEED that Groupon deep tissue Massage but need a way to justify it to your bank account. This app will also keep you up to date on any new sales going on at department stores online and in store.

Fareness

Calling all spring breakers! Select your departure city and Fareness will provide the cheapest destinations out of that city. For example, if you’re looking for a flight out of Milwaukee to a  tropical destination (RIP warm weather), a round trip to West Palm beach is $87 for 8 days. AND if you don’t want to fit into the teeny-weeny bikini after stuffing yourself full of Christmas cookies, Fareness also has an ‘outdoor’ option that will lead you straight to the slopes. Who says that traveling needs to be expensive?

Sky Scanner

This app literally scans the air to save you the dough. Let Sky Scanner do all the work while you spend time figuring out how you’re going to fit 15 sun dresses, 8 pairs of shoes, and all of your toiletries in your carry-on. Simply select your destination and they will provide the cheapest way to get there, hotels to stay at, and car rental services!

Acorn

This is the easiest way to gradually save up for a big purchase! Link your credit or debit card to the site and with every purchase, Acorn will round up to the nearest dollar and administer that change to a savings account of your choosing. For example, at Starbucks your coffee is $3.59. Acorn will round the purchase up to $4.00, take the $0.39, and transfer it into your savings account. Little by little you can save up for those thigh-high Carrie Bradshaw boots you’ve had your eye on for months or buying your entire family matching spring break t-shirts! Christmas card 2017?

As college students, we know money doesn’t grow on trees and neither does time. However, these money saving apps will help you pay or save for the necessities, Spring Break trips and maybe those Carrie Bradshaw boots!

Tori is a senior at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee where she is majoring in Marketing and Supply Chain Management with an minor in International Business. In her free time, Tori loves searching for the cheapest way to travel the world, drinking obscene amounts of coffee and read up on all the new fashion trends. Not to mention her love for Pinterest and attempting new DIY projects. Do you need travel inspo? Or maybe restaurant recommendations? Follow her on Instagram, @tori.sweeney !