The Independent Girl With The Sensitive Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

As I was growing up, everyone always knew me for my free-spirited personality and willingness to strive for ridiculous obstacles. I have always been the girl who would rather go grocery shopping or to the mall by myself than with a friend. I have never been the girl who likes to wait on anyone, and that has always found its way to kick me in the butt.

In a nutshell, I like to do whatever I want. I do not like being told what to do or who I can be. I guess I have always known who I am as a woman, and I have never let that hold me back.

For as long as I can remember, I have always been the girl who made the first moves. I always took charge of my life and my future. Whenever I feel knocked down, I always tell myself that you have exactly one hour to feel crappy about yourself and then you must shut up and do something about it. I am a big advocate for believing in yourself.

But I have also always been the girl who wears her heart on her sleeve. I am the soul-searching type. The one who sees the good in others way more than I should.  And that, quite frankly, has always found its way to kick me in the butt also.

There has always been a fire in me that won’t dare to burn out. In fact, I often find it hard to be around individuals who solely rely on others to give them what they need. Being an independent woman surrounded by dependent people is the hardest thing for me. I have found that I am my best when I am on my own and doing things that make me happy. Not for anyone else. There are and will be people who find my need to change the world, care for others and extroverted presence startling and overwhelming at times, but I don’t care. I am who I am because I want to be.

I find light in the darkest of places. I find hope when it feels like there is nothing left to hold on to. I fight like hell, and that is enough for me. Being a sensitive woman with the crazy need to always feel free is hard to juggle most of the time. I don’t like it when others hold me back. Sometimes my passion for things leads me to difficult areas of my life. I do not just dip my toes in I go head first into what life likes to throw at me. My stubbornness and need to find the good in every situation, often hurts me. But I still have the courage to love just the same as I did the day before. Being a sensitive being with an adventurous heart with always get the best of me, but it hasn’t stopped me yet. Having the personality that I have will always lead me to struggles and sacrifices I’m not sure I will always be willing to make. But it’s how I choose to face the obstacles in the end that will always make me out to believe I am the strongest woman I know. 

Just a 5'4" independent and free spirited woman, easily inspired and always smiling. While I'm not on here spilling all my thoughts and writing my heart out, I thoroughly enjoy drawing, blogging, adventuring and of course dancing around in my underwear and eating mac and cheese. It's the simple things in life that truly make me who I am. I currently reside in Milwaukee, Wisco and inspire to be a pediatric nurse.