How Studying Abroad Changed my Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

About three years ago, I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia. It was without a doubt the best experience of my life thus far. I was a bright-eyed freshman at St. Cloud State University who felt that summer was a time for change. Instead of returning to my small town to be a server, I applied on a whim to CAPA International & booked my ticket to Australia. I felt like my first year of college was confusing and disappointing, so I decided to study abroad for most of my summer!. I always knew I wanted to study abroad, but I never expected this trip would change my life in such drastic ways.

While I was there I learned a lot about myself, my goals, and the culture I want to live in. I met a lot of people from America, Australia & other neighboring countries. I love talking to people and I began to understand cross-cultural communication. I had been raised in a small town with very little diversity and exposure; I hated it. I never felt like I fit in or that I belonged. When I went to St. Cloud University, it was better, but I still felt like something was missing in my life. It wasn’t a boyfriend, job, or extracurricular, it was something on a deeper level. During my time abroad, I grew up a lot. I became more independent, competent, and accepting of others. I truly became an adult. I understood the world and all the people who lived in it. I realized that the career path I had been on (business management) wasn’t the right one for me. I wanted something that I could help impact people’s lives and enhance the diversity of businesses. House parties weren’t an interest to me anymore I wanted to be around people who were more mature, hence my interest in the bar scene. I also didn’t need to be surrounded by people to feel complete and happy, I was okay with independence and alone time.

Due to these realizations, I decided to transfer to a different university & change my major.. During my trip, I realised I wanted to be on a diverse campus and I decided that UWM was the place for me! Ever since I applied, I knew that this campus was a better match.It had just the surroundings I wanted!However, it still isn’t the perfect place for me. That’s going to take some more time and self-discovery, but I am much happier here than I was at my first University. My decision to change my major was the perfect decision for me. I am now a double major in Human Resource Management & Communication. I  now have the ability to impact people’s lives in the business world,  and help them with their achievements  through effective communication. House parties became a thing of the past, I enjoy the nightlife in a big city, and I was able to realize that all of my expectations about house parties and boys was way underrated.

I can definitely say that studying abroad changed my life for the better. It was hard at times, but I loved every second of my experience. I am going to try to go on another trip abroad this summer to Europe,  and pursue an international internship! I guess you can say I have the traveling bug engraved in me!

Hello everyone, my name is Jenna Towers. I am super excited to write for HerCampus and help develop our new chapter. As a senior in Human Resources and Communication, I've learned a lot about communication on campus. Through this experience, I hope to expand my writing skills by creating entertaining and thought-provoking pieces to share. My role in this organization is not only to produce articles, but I am the Marketing and Public Relations Director for the UWM Chapter. Things to know about me: (1) I love pizza (2) Game of Thrones and Grey's Anatomy are my faccorite TV shows (3) My dream one day is to work for Walt Disney Company in their Casting Department (4) I am currently a Human Resource Intern at the Medical College of Wisconsin (5) I have studied abroad in Sydney, Australia Please follow me on Instagram jenna_c_towers
Tori is a senior at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee where she is majoring in Marketing and Supply Chain Management with an minor in International Business. In her free time, Tori loves searching for the cheapest way to travel the world, drinking obscene amounts of coffee and read up on all the new fashion trends. Not to mention her love for Pinterest and attempting new DIY projects. Do you need travel inspo? Or maybe restaurant recommendations? Follow her on Instagram, @tori.sweeney !