How To Fall In Love With Yourself First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

For the longest time, I had a difficult time loving who I was. I had a tough time adjusting to college and dealing with a huge breakup. Therefore, I felt very lost and not like myself at all. I am finally starting to love and know who I am as a woman. Tough decision making and experiences have helped me grown a lot throughout my years of studying and being on my own. I now find the love for indulging in a good book and eating alone. I love dressing up because it makes me feel good and letting myself splurge on three scoops of ice cream instead of two. How you learn to fall in love with yourself is by taking the time to do the things that you love and celebrating your every little victory. I’m learning to love my own company and all the things that make me unique and admirable.

When working on yourself and learning to accept who you are, it can be the hardest thing. We all look for approval in men and society but in all honesty the first and only approval should be within oneself. In the end you are your biggest commitment. You should be your biggest fan.

As a college student, we strive to be the best for our parents, our friends and we put too much pressure on ourselves to fit in and be the greatest. Taking the time to do the things you love and accepting what is can be a huge step in learning to be okay with yourself. I once read in a book of mine “you must want to spend the rest of your life with yourself first.” So take yourself to a coffee shop, sit down and read your favorite book. Wear that dress because you love it and it makes you feel good. Redo your lipstick 20 times and laugh out loud. Go to a movie by yourself; ignore the boy who makes you feel unworthy, and let a boy take you out to dinner because you are an amazing woman and deserve it. Go for seconds on dessert, or go for that mile run. Whatever makes you feel beautiful and happy should always be enough.

Just a 5'4" independent and free spirited woman, easily inspired and always smiling. While I'm not on here spilling all my thoughts and writing my heart out, I thoroughly enjoy drawing, blogging, adventuring and of course dancing around in my underwear and eating mac and cheese. It's the simple things in life that truly make me who I am. I currently reside in Milwaukee, Wisco and inspire to be a pediatric nurse.