This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

While the MKE staples like Cafe Hollander and George Webb’s are always a safe bet for brunch, if you’re anything like me you’re always looking to try someplace new. As a brunch lover myself, I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite, yet often overlooked, brunch spots around Milwaukee. With options ranging from something simple with syrup, to bad and boujee benedicts, you’ll never have a boring brunch experience again. Go ahead, eat your heart out!

Blue’s Egg

317 N 76th St. → V / L / B: Gold

Blue’s Egg is what I like to call a “Milwaukee Must”. Whether you’re showing off the city’s highlights to out-of-towners, or being a tourist in your own city, this is a HOT. SPOT. You can’t go wrong with anything on their menu, but I find myself dreaming of the Crispy Blue Crab Cake and Roasted Mushroom Strata at least once a week. Not a fan of seafood? Don’t worry, they’ve got plenty of other choices to peak your interest.

Cafe Corazon

3129 N. Bremen St. → VV / L / B: 60

Craving something south of the border with a little extra spice? Cafe Corazon has a versatile brunch menu and prepares one of my favorite foods better than anyone else on the east side: chorizo, chorizo, chorizo! This family owned restaurant is sure to steal your heart at first bite. While the classic breakfast burrito is popular go-to item, I prefer the stacked breakfast tostadas, or smothered chilaquiles. Treat yourself a little and go for the bloody mary made with jalapeno infused tequila to wash it down.

Engine Company 3

217 W. National Ave. → V / L / B: Green

Great food at a great price is my motto, and engine company 3 delivers! This urban chic restaurant takes you around the world with a variety of dishes based out of different countries. While a lot of the words on the menu may seem intimidating, do not fret! The staff is kind and very knowledgeable about every item on the menu. A couple of my favorites include the Spaghetti Squash Carbonara, mouthwatering Smoked Salmon Blintz, and the Uovo in Purtgatorio. Buon appetito, bon appétit, Genieße dein Essen!

Riverwest Co-Op

733 E. Clarke St. → VV / L / B: 22 / B: 60

The co-op is a small, quaint building found on the corner of Clarke and Fratney street in the Riverwest area, just west of campus. They offer a variety of classic breakfast foods at a reasonable price and it’s all vegetarian/vegan friendly. As a meat eater myself, this is still one of my favorite stops for something low key, or quality breakfast on the go. I have yet to try a better biscuits and gravy. The food is wholesome, healthy, locally sourced, and never less than incredible.

Simple Cafe

2124 N Farwell Ave.  → V / L / B: Gold / B: 30 / B: 30x

Although it is well known around the UWM campus, Simple Cafe is simply one of my favorites and most recommended brunch stops. Being the “foodie” that I am, I love that their menu is ever-changing not only with the food available by local vendors, but with the seasons as well. Last time I stopped in I was terribly torn between two items. I finally decided on the Turkey, butternut squash, brussel sprouts hash and could not have been more pleased with my decision.

Stubby’s Gastropub

2060 N. Humboldt Ave. → V /  B: 30x / B: Gold / B: 30 / B: Green

With the Winter Olympics in full swing and March Madness right around the corner, who has time to go out to eat?! Luckily, this trendy gastropub not only has over 40 craft beers on tap, but televisions everywhere you turn so you won’t have to worry about missing a second of your favorite sporting event. I tend to lean toward salty and savory breakfast options, so I opt for the riverwest skillet with candied bacon and extra sriracha hollandaise. But if you’ve got a sweet tooth, the Party Crasher is sure to satisfy. Regardless of your main dish, don’t forget get an order of Caiter’s Taters!

Wolf Peach

1818 N. Hubbard St. → V / L / B: 30x / B: Green

If you aren’t looking for it wolf peach is easy to miss, but once you set foot in this charming space you’ll have a hard time forgetting it. Wolf peach is best known as a tapas style dinner restaurant. However, I have found that it’s breakfast is just as memorable as it’s incredible view of the MKE skyline. I’m a total sucker for a good benedict, so my personal favorite is the “I’ll have what she’s having”. Their house made hollandaise will have you licking the plate!

Key:

V indicates vegetarian friendly

VV indicates vegetarian/vegan friendly

L indicates locally sourced food

B indicates best bus line to take from UWM campus, utilize that bus pass!