This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

With spring being in full effect, everyone is happy and ready for the warm and vibrant season of summer. Like anything in spring, everything in sight begins to blossom, including new relationships. Are you headed for a summer fling? From my personal experience, I learned summer flings can go one of two ways: a temporary fling or something serious and long-lasting. It all depends on how you communicate with that person while also enjoying the moments you’re spending together. Here are a list of do’s and don’t’s that are important to keep in mind if you find yourself in a summer fling this upcoming summer.

Do go on fun summer dates 

Why not take the opportunity to spend time with that person on cute summer dates? Whether it’s baseball games, ice cream dates, or simple walks through the park, take advantage of those cute and simple dates. Don’t lie, you know you have a list somewhere of summer date ideas. Make them plan some dates too! Whether you and your summer fling are serious or not, make it fun and easy. 

Don’t avoid the discussion of what happens at the end of the summer 

If you find yourself in a temporary situation such as, one of you living in one place for just the summer, make sure the person you’re with is aware of that. Tell them up front at the beginning of summer so it is in the back of their mind. The last thing you want is to enjoy the summer together then announce you’re heading back to your permanent location in August. Whether they want to keep the relationship or end it, talking about the future with them is important. 

Do communicate 

Communication is important in any relationship, but in a summer fling, it’s easy to get caught up in the moment and forget about reality. Many times in a summer fling, the relationship is only meant to last a few months. It might be flirty, fun and care-free, but you must communicate and discuss what exactly the relationship is. What if you’re interested in something more then a summer fling but they want a simple, flirty fling? That is going to be one awkward conversation at the end of the summer. Make sure you establish what you both want and make sure you’re on the same page. 

Don’t worry too much about what comes next 

As I’ve mentioned repeatedly, summer flings sometimes aren’t meant to last forever. When you’re young, nothing is set in stone. Most of us are still finding ourselves and a permanent lifestyle is the last thing on ours minds. While the thought of what’s next is tempting to wonder about, don’t let it get to your head. It’ll just stress you out, cause you to overthink and your summer fling may turn into a serious and dramatic turn of events. Keep it fun and easy. Summer is suppose to be fun and care-free, right? 

Do enjoy the moment you’re in

There was a reason you became interested in this person in the first place. You decided to give it a shot and go out with them. Make sure you always remind yourself of that. Enjoy the moments you’re in with that person. That person has made an impact on you and one day, they may or may not be in your life anymore. Although my summer fling didn’t last past the summer, a part of me will always remember the summer I spent with him. There were many moments that made me happy, but as I eventually learned, we were very different and not everything was meant to last forever. Whether the moments you spend together are the first moments of a long-lasting relationship or moments that you’ll think back on later when you’re both living separate lives, remember to always enjoy the moment you’re in. 

Just a 22-year-old Wisconsin college student with a whole lot of Minnesota pride. You can catch me serving coffee, watching netflix and exploring as many new places as I can.