This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

“Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein

It seems that as people, we are constantly being put into labels. Labels of which can be good, but also those of which that can be bad. I am not one to sit here and say that I am a Saint, for Father, I have sinned. However when it comes to being put into a category, I try to leave that behind me.

Since coming to college, I’ve seemed to find myself having a lot of reflection time. Not only reflection on my life’s experiences, but also on my life as a whole – what I want it to be; but more importantly on what I want to be.

Being surrounded by thousands of people who seem to have it all together is stressful. I would say about 95% of people I know have a decided major and career field. It’s almost strange to see, since when I was applying for college everyone told me that no one knows what they will major in. And yet, all I see are people who know who they are.

I am a lost boy, forever and always. And to be perfectly honest, that’s okay.

There is no shame in not knowing who you are or who you want to be. One thing I’ve struggled with is my future – not having any for sure plans. I seem to always crate new ideas and motivations, even though they almost seem too silly or too frequent to actually accomplish. But that makes me question – are they?

I am a firm believer in following your own sense of self. And quite obviously if I create an idea or goal for myself, I, at some  point, wanted that to become true or completed. Why should I limit myself based off of what I want in the moment? I am putting myself into this category when I don’t need to.

So what if I want to write three books and also drive a racecar? Who cares if I move to Paris and become a blogger? If my goal is to eat four pizzas and also get into shape, why should I choose one? Eat the pizza and then go for a nice jog around the block. Or better yet – jog while eating the pizza.

I can accomplish anything I set my mind too. And so can you.

We don’t have to choose one career, we can choose multiple. We don’t have to pick one pair of shoes at the store, we can buy as many as I want. We can choose anything we want too. We are strong women, who are our own people, and who don’t need to be defined by anything other than ourselves.

I am so grateful to have been raised by some wonderful people, and also to have the endless love and support of my family and friends. And as much as they have had an impact on me, everything is ultimately up to me. I get to choose my morals, my goals, my life. If I want to own every dog in the world, I will! (And yes, I know this is impossible – but a girl can dream, right?)

(Here is a photo of my wonderful and supportive parents)

A friend once gave me the greatest piece of advice I have ever received – I am the pilot of my own plane. I choose where I go, how high I fly, and for how long. This is true for you as well. You can choose to be anything you want to be. When we were brought into this world, we were given two rights – choice and love.

We have the right to love and be loved, just as much as we have the right to make our own choices in anything we are brought to in life. Everything else is just a privilege and a blessing. Don’t define yourself into a category or limitation, define yourself on what you strive for.

So go out, eat some pizza, watch Christmas movies in July, wear white after Labor Day, and be your own pilot.