This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

Spring is that awkward time between Winter and Summer when you are not sure how to get dressed for the day. Sometimes it’s cold so you want to put on that big comfy sweater and leggings, other days it is nice enough for shorts and a t-shirt. So, the big question is, how do I transition out of my favorite winter items to my cute Summer clothes? Here are 10 tips to help you embrace the fact that spring is here!

1. Try to stop going straight for your favorite black tee and jeans and add some color in your life! Spring is a great time to bring out your colored jeans and capris or a bright t-shirt. Don’t just settle for dark colors and go bold.
  2. Dress in layers. Very important for when the weather goes from 75 to 40 in just a few hours. Have your go-to jacket or cardigan that you can take everywhere in case you need extra cover up. It is always easier to take off layers than to put on more! 
  3. Now is a great time to transition out of those winter boots and into your favorite sandals. Even with jeans or a dress sandals always look cute. Just make sure your toes are painted after the long winter!
  4. If you’re like me, venturing from the dark colors of winter is extremely hard. A great way to start the transition is to have bright colored accessories like jewelry or a handbag to pair with the neutral colors you know and love.
  5. Florals are always popular in Spring! When the flowers start to pop outside is when you start seeing it on clothing too. If it is a top, dress, or even pants florals make a big statement this time of year. 
  6. Legging do not have to be just for winter! You can still wear them with a light flannel or cardigan. They’re perfect for when you know you’ll be outside for long periods of time.
  7. Nothing is better than having a go-to denim or leather jacket! You can pair the jacket with a cute dress or t-shirt and jeans. You have a versatile item that will not go out of style.
  8. To go with your bright colored clothes, it is a great time to start adventuring with your makeup. Try out some pink lips to add some color into your outfit. Learn how to use blush, and most importantly, give those eye shadows at the other side of your pallet a try! Blues, pinks, and greens are great to bring out your eye color. 
  9. We are all eager for Summer to start but we can’t get too crazy and bring out the shorts just yet. A great start is to get a pair of comfy capris. Just like jeans, they can be endlessly paired with tops, but it gives you a chance to show just a little more skin but also stay warm.
  10. Lastly of course, we all know it rains A LOT in April, therefore it is important you have a comfy and cute pair of rain boots! Emphasis on the cute because you want to be able to pair those boots with anything. Most importantly to keep your feet dry!

I know it might be difficult to stray away from your Winter clothes, but Spring is a great time to start showing some skin and step out of that comfort zone! Wise words from Miss Congeniality – when asked to describe her perfect date Cheryl “Rhode Island” said: That’s a tough one. I’d have to say April 25th. Because it’s not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.

Just a small town girl from Illinois eager to jump into a big world. A UWM student studying Communication with a minor in Journalism and Media Studies. Once I see what I want, I will not stop until I get it. I love everything from being outside in the middle of nowhere to being smack dab in the center of a big city. I am very passionate, hard working, talkative, and thoughtful. I am always down for great adventures and I am excited to see where living in Milwaukee takes me!