rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You SHOULD Date Someone with Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

If you’ve ever dated someone with anxiety, then you know how difficult it can be. On top of the already intricate difficulties of relationships, dating someone who has a mental illness such as anxiety can be even more complicated. However, if you’ve dated someone with anxiety, then you also know how awesome it can be! Here are just a few perks of dating someone with anxiety:

You’ll never be late.

There are different types of anxiety, and so there are different reasons why your SO is deathly terrified of being late. This could result in waking up an hour earlier to get ready, waiting a few hours at the airport without wifi, or watching the pre-warmups before a sports game. But… you’ll never be late! And that’s a great thing.

You’ll always know where you’re going.

The prospect of getting lost to someone can be terrifying. If a person with anxiety has the same phobia, then it will only be a thousand times worse. They will probably check that they have the right address at least twenty times, maybe set a really annoying GPS, or maybe stare at a map the entire road trip. But this will only prevent you from getting lost, which will make whatever journey you’re on go a lot more smoothly.

They’ll always be empathetic to your worries and fears.

They get it. They’re there every second of every day. In fact, complaining about your fears and worries might make them feel more okay with their anxiety. They won’t feel as much of an outcast as they usually might. They’ll do everything in their power to make you feel more comfortable and confident. They typically know good ways of doing just that because they know what they’d like to hear and feel in their anxiety attacks – just be glad your fears aren’t quite as acute and powerful as theirs.

They’ll never lose anything.

They know where everything they put is. One thing that helps people with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) is routine. They might not be super neat all the time, but they have certain places for everyday things. That book they haven’t touched in 2 years? They probably have a very good idea of where it is. Or that one last bobby pin? You bet they got it whenever you need it.

They pick up on the little things.

Sure this can mean they overreact to little social cues, but for the most part, this is a great thing! They’ll know little details about you that no one else would ever realize. The way you like your tea, the little jokes you share with your friends, the way you act after a good day at work, the way you act after a bad day at work… They’ll catch onto these things quickly so that they’ll know how to react to them.

For better or worse, they have great memory.

She might over-think the way you only half-laughed at a video she waited two days to share with you. He might wonder why you took half an hour to respond to that one text when you were having a very quick text conversation. These things might literally be carried with them to their graves. But remember the first time you held hands? Remember when you sneezed really weird that one time and everyone in the mall laughed but it was super cute? Remember that one really stupid thing you said that one time at that one place? No, you probably don’t. But they do. And they love you for those great memories.

Fast replies.

Two reasons: a) they are always ready to react to anything so they’re always checking emails and notifications b) they know the complete dread of waiting for a reply back from someone and they never want you to feel that way – though you probably wouldn’t anyway.

It’s never a dull moment.

Most people with anxiety have a hard time relaxing. Each person deals with their anxiety differently and may have really different ways of winding down. That being said, if they’re not utterly exhausted from their anxiety (it’s tiring being constantly on edge), they probably want to get out and do something! They’re down for things that will make them forget about their existential worries and fears of wasting their life away. Their fears are deep rooted and intense, but in the best scenarios, it motivates them to make the most out of life and to never miss an amazing memory.

Yes, it can be hard, but just know they appreciate you so so so much for being there for them. They know it can be a burden. They know it can be a challenge to deal with them. But you’re loved far more intensely and far more beautifully by them than by anyone else.  

I've always been a writer. I'm a Sagittarius with an INFP personality type. I have cats and dogs and love all animals. I am an ovo-lacto pescetarian veering into raw food, slow fashion, eco-friendly beauty, and all-natural skincare. I am a huge fan of language and study English Literature and Creative Writing. I have left footprints in Europe, North America, and the Caribbean. I have a million favourite quotes. I am a devoted Anglican. Finally, I believe love conquers all.