mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things I’ve Learned In My First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

I had mixed feelings about leaving for University. One part of me was super excited to move on from high school and start a new chapter in my life, but another part of me was terrified to move into the city. I’ve since completed my first year of University unscathed. If anything, this year has been a learning experience. Here are some things that I’ve learned in my first year:

1. It’s not as scary as you think.

I have never lived in a city in my life! I was certain I would be the victim of some sort of crime or I would at least witness one. I was, of course, completely over reacting. As long as you take all the proper measure- don’t talk to strangers, lock your doors, etc.- you will be safe. The first day on campus is nothing to be afraid of either. There are hundreds of kids in the same boat as you are.

2. There is always somebody willing to help you out.

Whether it be your parents, a professor, or a friend, nobody wants to see another person struggle. Don’t be afraid to reach out to somebody if you do need help because people will help you.

3. You really gain a new found appreciation for the relationships in your life.

Moving away from your friends and family really makes you appreciate them even more. You don’t realize how much you really need them until they’re not there. I know one of the most appealing things about moving out is having your independence away from your parent’s watchful eye, but one day you will miss always having them around.

4. There are so many resources to help your career.

I want to work in editing or journalism after I graduate. I’m only in my first year and I’m already working to build experience towards that career. Being a part of Her Campus gives me writing and editing experience, and the University offers an editing and publishing practicum that offers amazing experience! By the time I graduate I will have so many useful skills under my belt.

5. It’s hard to keep yourself in order on your own.

It is so tempting to skip class and eat Kraft Dinner for every meal when you only have to answer to yourself. In moderation these things can be alright, but don’t make them a habit. For me, one of the biggest challenges was staying on a normal human being’s sleep schedule. Thankfully, whenever I went home I had healthier options and didn’t always have to rely on myself for meals… and I felt guilty staying up so late there!

6. You learn to be a better person.

University really teaches people how to be better members of society. Since starting University I have not only grown in intelligence, but as a person. You are required to take so many electives outside of your program and that is really beneficial. It introduces students to all parts of life and creates citizens that can understand all sides of a situation.

Meghan is a second year English Major at the University of Windsor. She is minoring in Environmental Science. Meghan loves fashion, reading and writing, and nature/the environment. She hopes to enter the world of Editing or Journalism after University. Meghan is excited to share her ideas and opinions with the Her Campus followers!