Meet the Society Shoppe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

The Society Shoppe is a thrift store that sells a variety of items. From clothing to books to furniture, you are guaranteed to find something you like for a great price. Also, there are six convenient locations across Windsor-Essex County.

Money generated through the sale of donated goods in Society Shoppe stores is used to support the many charitable works of the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul.

I had the opportunity to interview Rosanne Winger, the general manager of the Society Shoppe. She is in charge of a variety of different things, which include: human resources, the promotion of the stores, fundraising and renovation.

Why should students shop at the Society Shoppe?

You can get really cool stuff at really good prices. This is great for students on a budget. The charity is local, and all the money goes right back into our programs. This is an easy way to help people in our community. Even if you aren’t interested in shopping, you can donate your unwanted items. Anything that we are unable to sell is recycled properly, even E-Waste!

What does the Society Shoppe do to help people in need?

If someone is in need of help, we evaluate exactly what types of things they need. They may need clothing, food, or furniture. We donate over 100,000 dollars’ worth of goods every year to families in need. By donating, we can provide these families with goods and you are also helping the environment!

What programs does the charity run?

We run a bus tour twice a year that visits all six Society Shoppe locations. This is great for new thrift shoppers! We are also looking at running a fashion show this year called Frugal Fashionista that will showcase some of the clothing among our stores.

How can people donate their items to the stores?

Each store has a drop-off bin and we also do pick-ups. We will even go inside of people’s houses if they want us to move the items into our vehicle. We accept almost everything, and if the items are too old to be salvaged, we recycle them properly.

Where can people find more information on the Society Shoppe?

They can check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SocietyShoppe/ or our website: http://www.ssvpwindsoressex.com/resalestores.html.

If you’re looking to donate your unwanted items or find some new things for a great price, the Society Shoppe is the place for you!

Amy N

UWindsor '21

Amy is a University of Windsor alumni. She loves to read, write, dance, eat chocolate, and organize anything she can get her hands on. Being bilingual, she developed a love for languages at a very young age.