stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Avoid the Freshman 15 (And How I Don’t)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

I know that I’m not the only student who’s had a difficult time maintaining a healthy diet since starting university. There are plenty of ways to avoid that unhealthy plunge, but sometimes, it can be difficult to make that commitment. Here are some tips and tricks as well as confessions.

1)      Breakfast

We’ve all been told since we were little that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it can sometimes be challenging to fit it into a busy schedule. Although I always make time for one healthy breakfast when I wake up, my second breakfast isn’t always as nutritious. There have been days when second breakfast has consisted of black coffee and Doritos.

So tip number one: don’t be me. Eat something like eggs, peanut butter on toast, or fruit.

2)      Quick Meals

There are plenty of Instagram accounts, websites, and magazines offering helpless people like you and I easy recipes that are not only healthy, but also great for students who have little time to waste. I look at the photos and consider trying the recipes occasionally, but most of the time a quick meal for me is macaroni and cheese. Not the stovetop kind either, but the microwavable kind. Toaster waffles and cereal are also a staple in my diet.

3)      Self-control

We all know that there is cheesecake available in the cafeteria every single day. This is great when you’re having a bad day and need to cope, having a great day and need to reward yourself, or having a mediocre day and need to make it more interesting. However, when you’re trying to avoid unhealthy food, it can be difficult to resist. When I figure out how, I’ll let you know.

4)      Support System

It can be difficult to accomplish anything on your own. Talk to friends or roommates and come up with a meal plan together. It’s easier eating salad and quinoa with friends rather than sitting at home while everyone else goes out for burgers and fries. Sadly, my friends and I only have meal plans that consist of eating leftover pizza the next morning.

5)      Reality

Don’t be too hard on yourself for breaking a healthy habit every once in awhile. One poutine won’t ruin your life forever. Just make sure not to spiral out of control like I do. I can be quoted last week for saying, “I’m just going to keep eating cookies until I feel better.”  

I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus UWindsor. I am enrolled in English & Creative Writing and Visual Arts. Art, music, and writing are my obsessions! But my heart also belongs to books and big dogs.