This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

In the midst of Fashion Week, , starting in February and March depending on the city, this is a great  time to look into the history of this iconic fashion occasion.

Fashion week, as it’s known around the world, is a week where designers showcase the latest collections to the world. Fashion  week often influences international trends for the next few years. Fashion weeks are held at some of the fashion capitals of the worlds, such as the “Big Four” which are Milan, London, New York, and Paris. These cities often have a strong culture and trends of their own, which helps their leadership in terms of the world’s fashion. Booming cities are often strong fashion centers, however other cities such as Los Angeles, Berlin, Rome, and Tokyo host incredible fashion weeks as well.

As you might have guessed, fashion week was created in Paris, which had been Europe’s main fashion center in the 1600s under the infamous Louis XIV, who ruled from his court at the Palace of Versailles. Fashion week began with women hired to wear clothing and accessories in public and in salons, formerly called parades.

In New York during the year 1903, a clothing store called Ehrich Brothers put on America’s first fashion show to increase business. Almost ten years later every department store was putting on fashion shows.

In 1943, New York hosted the first ever fashion week. This week was created so that Americans, just like they did in France, could have access to fashion during the Second World War, since obviously Americans could not travel to France during the war.

Milan had its first fashion week in 1958; Paris had theirs in 1973; and London in 1984.

Fashion weeks are held twice a year; first in February and March to showcase autumn/winter fashion season, and then in September and October to showcase spring/summer. This allowed new fashions for next season to be previewed, and it allowed time for retailers to purchase the fashions and add these trends to their marketing campaigns.

In 2016, due to pressure from customers, brands have started to include fashion shows during the season it showcases.

Meanwhile, Canada has two fashion weeks in Toronto and Montreal. Though since in 2016 IMG Canada Limited (event and talent management company) pulled funding from Toronto Fashion Week, Canada was unsure if fashion week in Toronto would continue. However, Toronto is back in action this year with four separate fashion weeks. Readers can follow the this website to learn more about Toronto fashion week: https://torontofashionweek.to/

“History of Fashion Week.” Fashion Week Online®, fashionweekonline.com/history-of-fashion-week.

“Fashion week.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 18 Feb. 2018, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion_week.

Rachael is a fourth year double-major in English and History. She is both a writer and editor for Her Campus. She spends most of her time trying to multi-task but spends the majority of her day watching Netflix, reading, or hanging with friends.
Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.