15 Easy and Achievable New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

New Year, new me, or so the saying goes, but is it really a new you in 2018? Often the only changes we make are to write down a checklist of the things we didn’t get to in 2017, or 2016, or 2015, but we still won’t achieve them in 2018. Often some of the resolutions we create for ourselves are too hard, not easily achievable, or we just really do not want to do them.

However, there are different resolutions than just getting fit and joining a gym. Shocking, I know, sometimes we can improve ourselves in other ways than physical fitness.

Instead of writing a New Year’s resolution that you dread so much that you won’t ever get around to completing it, try these innovative resolutions that even the laziest of us can finish.

1.    Finish a book. Finish the book you were already reading, or start a new one and read it to the end. You have a whole year to read one book and enjoy it. Don’t bother with trying to read 50 books this year, simply read something you enjoy and don’t worry about how long it takes you to read to completion.

2.     Start a new hobby. It could be anything, it doesn’t have to be kickboxing if that’s not something you want to do. It could be learning to sew or knit, or maybe putting a puzzle together while you watch T.V. Anything that is new to you.

3.    Leave your house. Sit up off that couch and just leave! Go for a walk, or go to a bar, or just walk down your street and turn around and come back.

4.    Start flirting. Download tinder and match with your soulmate. Meet new people, flirt with them and continue.

5.    Fix your posture. Sit up straight and you’ll seem more confident and more energized. Consistently slouching can hurt your back in the long run. Do yourself a favour.

6.    Start being kinder. Kindness goes a long way and you’ll find the friendlier and kinder you are to people the same you’ll get from people.

7.    Learn to de-stress. Whether that be taking a long bath or getting a massage learn what works for you and take the time everyday or once a week to properly de-stress.

8.    Turn off your device for one day. Log out of Facebook and Instagram and turn your mind of social media or electronic and just live. You’ll probably feel better as you won’t be comparing yourself to someone for an entire day!

9.    Sleep longer. There are constant debates on how much humans need to sleep, especially because everybody works differently. Find how much sleep you need daily to feel good. Maybe your significant other only needs 7 hours, but you need 9.

10.    Turn off the T.V. Just like a phone or computer, watching T.V. takes up a huge chunk of your time. When you stop watching T.V. you find that you don’t know what to do with all your excess time, but be grateful for this and do something you’ve been meaning to do but never had enough time to.

11.    Shop less and spend less money. Try not to think of all the clothes, makeup or Amazon products that you could be buying with your new paycheck. Block yourself from online shopping websites and don’t go to a shopping mall for a while. Often an item you really wanted in the moment you won’t remember wanting a week later. Also you’ll save your money longer.

12.    Clean your house. Often a tidier house makes us feel more refreshed and happier. Also with the new year, a clean house is a must

13.    Buy something you’ve been pining for for a long time. Treat yourself to it. There is no sense feeling shame if you’ve saved up for it and will love it and use the item for a long time.

14.    Lose the friends you don’t like and keep the ones you do. Be mindful of who you spend your time with. If you hang out with pessimistic or toxic friends lose them in the New Year because their bad traits will rub off on you. Spend quality time with those persons whom you genuinely like and add happiness to your life.

15.    Let go of grudges and forgive. If you are still holding onto a petty grudge from 2017 let it go and forgive the person for the wrong they did. Often it is not worth it to stay mad, and it only makes you unhappy.

Rachael is a fourth year double-major in English and History. She is both a writer and editor for Her Campus. She spends most of her time trying to multi-task but spends the majority of her day watching Netflix, reading, or hanging with friends.
Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.