Your Green Guide for the Kitchen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

With a new semester starting up for us college students, it’s important to take the time to remind everyone that there are many ways you can “greenify” your living space! The kitchen can be a massive source of unnecessary waste. Determined to find solutions, I took the time before I headed back to school to consider ways in which I could make my kitchen more eco-friendly and here are some helpful tips that I discovered:

1. Get yourself a filtered water pitcher 

My water pitcher is my best friend! Not only does the filter cleanse your tap water, but it also helps keep extra plastic from water bottles and jugs out of landfills. The pitchers come in all types of colors and sizes, and if you act quickly I know that a bunch of stores have them on sale right now

2. Ditch the plastic wrap and discover bees wax wraps!

Plastic waste is a big issue right now, and what better way to reduce your plastic use than to invest in these? Also, if you are feeling crafty, here is a DIY option that offers a guide on how to make your own environmentally friendly wraps. Another reason I love my bees wax wraps is because they aren’t made with harmful chemicals that can seep into whatever your storing. It’s a win-win: you’re helping the environment and yourself!

3. Stop using wasteful paper products 

I thought of all the things I used paper towels for and decided that there had to be a better way. I picked up a set of cheap, cleaning towels and vowed myself off paper! I also cut up a few of my old t-shirts to make cleaning rags.

4. Straws are the enemy 

Just say no to them. Instead, find yourself reusable ones. For example, reusable stainless steel straws are a great option. They are easy to clean and do not contribute to the plastic waste.

5. Say no to plastic bags

Am I the only one who cringes at the thought of wasteful, plastic produce bags? A great alternative for these single-use, plastic bags are reusable produce bags! Reusable produce bags make the trip from the grocery store back home efficient and they also have some other great features. Reusable produce bags are easy to clean, make washing produce less of a hassle and they cut down, yet again, on your plastic waste.

6. Use glass instead of plastic 

In need of new Tupperware? Instead of grabbing the conventional plastic containers off the shelf think about investing in glass storage containers! Glass containers last longer, won’t seep harmful chemicals into your food and help take plastic out of the equation. There are lots of options for glass storage containers and I urge you to try them out.

Going “Green” is more important than ever right now. According to MSLK, a New York graphic design firm, the US uses 1,500 plastic water bottles every second. I’ll let that sink in. Our generation has a responsibility not only to the planet, but also to future generations to come. As a society, taking small steps like the ones above will make all the difference. Simple changes in your routine or how you look at household waste can help decrease landfill plastics and save you money in the long run. I encourage you to make changes because the earth is depending on you!

Images courtesy of thelastplasticstraw.org and Target

Nature lover, turtle fanatic and forever passionate about the environment. I'm an environmental science major and would love to travel the world expereincing all of Earth's environments. I hope to share my love for the world through the written word.