The Shape of Water: Otherworldly Yet Completely Heartfelt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

No spoiler alerts here. The Shape of Water has been nominated for 13 Oscars, so I decided to check it out last weekend.

If I had to describe the movie in three words, it would be: quirky, odd and different. The thing to remember while watching The Shape of Water is its whole premise is centered around a non-human. Some characters even referred to him as amphibious with godlike powers—so this movie did not follow the laws of nature. This point is something to take into account as I was often asking myself, “what is going on,” or “how is this even possible?” I quickly learned to accept the illogical and not question it. Otherwise, I would have spent too much time questioning the believability of it all. As I have been writing this article, it has dawned on me how well-done this film actually is. As I think back, I can see how the director made a movie that taught so many lessons—without you even knowing it.

It should be noted the design quality of the movie was fantastic. Because the quality of the film was so vivid, some CGI and animation scenes could rival Avatar. It took me to another world. I can vividly remember one scene that was so alluring, it left me feeling like I could feel each and every touch of the characters.  

Photo courtesy itsthevibe.com

I can definitely see why this movie was nominated for so many Oscars. The movie is set in Maryland 1962—which is one of the many reasons the movie was so captivating. In the 1960s, America encountered the Soviet space race, the Civil Rights Movement and the Women’s Rights Movement. All of these historical and societal forces are integral to the plot.

The protagonist of the film is a mute woman whose best friends consist of a rejected male artist, a black woman and eventually a non-human creature. Thus, the principal characters were all considered unequal in everyday society. The dynamic here is scintillating when we take a look at how the themes of the 60’s era such as racism, sexism and white power were incorporated into this film. When the lead female finds the non-human creature, she and her friends empathize with his struggle of inequality and poor treatment. They count him as one of their own—an unequal.

Because of the sexually graphic nature of this film, I wouldn’t see it with your parents or any children. The Shape of Water makes you think about how you treat others who don’t look, act or speak like you but can still make an impact on today’s society. This movie was incredibly heartfelt—although sexually graphic and a little weird—and I think it is a must-see. The Shape of Water is a humanizing and humbling story.