Senior Spotlight: Kelsi Gately

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Hometown: Cape Coral, FL
Age: 22
Major: Journalism and International Studies
Year: Senior
Favorite color: Grey
Favorite sport: Hockey
Hobby: Netflixing

Her Campus UWF: What do you do at the Pace Center for Girls?

Kelsi Gately: I am currently a Teacher and academic advisor at PACE Center for Girls. Prior to becoming a teacher, I started as a math tutor in January 2016 after volunteering my time as a tutor I decided to do my internship with PACE. I spent my entire summer working with the girls during our Summer Academies and created booklet from scratch to promote everything that the Escambia – Santa Rosa Center does throughout the year. In the fall after my internship was over I was asked to be a program assistant. While a program assistant, I helped run an Enrichment Lab after school for girls who go to area middle and high schools. Then at the end of January I become a full-time teacher.

Photo courtesy Kelsi Gately.

HCUWF: How has UWF prepared you for that work? 

KG: UWF has helped me prepare in how to face challenges and problem solve. I also learned time management, which is critical when being a teacher. Learning manage your time and multitask is not any easy job.

HCUWF: What sort of challenges come with being a teacher at the Pace Center?

KG: I think the biggest challenge that I faced was trying to get my classroom in order. We are a year round school and that meant I had to organize and clean my classroom while teaching and going to school. However, I have been able to get my room in order with all the different grade levels and stay on top of my other commitments.

HCUWF: How has your work changed you as a person? 

KG: Working at PACE has helped me discover what I want to do with my life. I love going to work every day and seeing my students. I have learned so much from them. I come to learn that after I graduate, I plan to get my Masters in Non-profit Management to help expand PACE across the nation. My girls call PACE their home and it has truly become mine as well.

HCUWF: What advice would you give to other young professionals?

KG: My advice to young professionals is to find something you love. Start to volunteer with different organizations and apply for internships out of your comfort zone. You might decide to change your career because you learn what you have always done isn’t what you were hoping for or it is everything you want in life. My grandmother and parents always told me to find something I love and make a career out of it. If you love what you do you will never work a day in your life.

I'm a pop-punk-blaring, pizza-chomping, puppy-loving, true crime enthusiast.
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs