Podcasts You Should Be Listening to Based on Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

When I’m driving, folding laundry, or even taking a shower I love listening to podcasts, but not a lot of people know about them!  Expand your podcast repertoire by finding the perfect one to match to your major.

1. Arts: BadAtSports

BadAtSports is a weekly podcast about contemporary art and occasionally features artists, curators, and other art professionals. This podcast is great for those majoring in the Arts.

Available on iTunes and SoundCloud

2. Accounting/Economics – Planet Money

NPR delivers this podcast to explain the ins and outs of money and the economy. It is entertaining while also being informative!

Available on iTunes and SoundCloud

3. Biology: Nature Podcast

The Nature Podcast is a weekly podcast all about the science of nature with a wide range of topics from bacteria to space to redheads.

Available on iTunes

4. Business Administration- HBR Ideacast

Featuring the leaders of innovation, business and management, this weekly podcast offers the best advice to inspire people to think outside the box, be successful and be the lady-boss you know you are!

Available on iTunes, Soundcloud, and Spotify

5. Communications: How to be Amazing with Michael Ian Black

Michael Ian Black interviews celebrities, authors, actors and politicians about what makes them amazing. Conversational and funny, this podcast inspires and delights while teaching you important social and life lessons.

6. Computer Sciences: TechStuff

The infamous How Stuff Works Company delivers yet again with TechStuff, the podcast made for those who love everything techy. Interested in the ins and outs of computer viruses, or how modern, wearable computer glasses work? Then this is the podcast for you.

7. Criminal Justice: Beyond Prisons

This podcast analyzes incarceration from the perspective of people directly impacted by the system.

8. Chemistry: Talk Nerdy

Cara Santa Maria, a science communicator, television host, producer and journalist, sits down with interesting scientists you may or may not know of for in-depth and honest conversations about the questions that drive scientific discovery.

Available on iTunes and Soundcloud

9. General Sciences

Startalk by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Produced by National Geographic, listeners explore the universe with Neil deGrasse Tyson, who while being extremely intelligent and passionate still maintains a light and funny tone throughout each show.

Available on iTunes and Soundcloud

BrainStuff

BrainStuff analyzes the science behind everything, from how squirrels organize their nuts to how getting a doctorate can affect your mental health.

10. Education: Stuff You Should Know

This conversational podcast hosted by Josh Clark and Charles “Chuck” Bryant teaches listeners about a variety of topics, from how silly putty was created to how LSD works. I recommend this podcast to everyone, because everyone is sure to find something that interests him or her.

11. Economics: Freakonomics

Freakonomics explores the hidden side of everything from the perspective of a “rogue economist.” While not all the episodes are directly related to the economy at large, University of Chicago economist Steven Levitt and New York Times journalist Stephen J. Dubner analyze life in a distinctive kind of way.

http://freakonomics.com/archive/

12. English: Harry Potter and the Sacred Text

This podcast studies Harry Potter like Wednesday night Bible study— each chapter is analyzed through the lens of some virtue to teach listeners important life lessons. This exemplifies how to analyze text in different and deeper ways.

13. Environmental Science: Outside/In

Outside/In is all about our Earth and all the amazing things in it. It is made for anyone who has ever been outside. Those curious about what nature keeps hidden, what it’s like to hike Mount Everest, or how clean energy works will enjoy this podcast.

Available on iTunes and Spotify

14. Health, Leisure & Exercise Science: FoodStuff

What we eat and drink speaks mouthfuls about our culture, human innovation and who we are. Anney and Lauren bite into the stories and science behind food.

15. History: Stuff You Missed in History Class

This podcast tells the stories of lesser known people and/or events, or the lesser known part of historic people’s lives that you won’t typically find in textbooks. Learn about the Mongolian Princess/Wrestler Khutulun or the five first flights in history.

16. Journalism: Stuff They Don’t Want You to Know

Stuff They Don’t Want You to Know is a conspiracy podcast based on well-researched and plausible explanations for the unexplained. Did a cult try to run South Korea? Did Osama Bin Laden really die in 2011? Find out the stuff they don’t want you to know.

17. Marine Biology: Naked Oceans, from the Naked Scientists

Naked Oceans explores everything wet. Uncover the secrets of the seven seas from lionfish to climate change to celebrating this decade’s aquatic discoveries.

Available on iTunes

18 Political Science: Pod Save America

Hosted by four former aides to President Obama, this progressive podcast welcomes experts and celebrities to talk about the current political climate.

19. International Relations: Abroaders Podcast

This podcast is made for those ready for international travel. It offers tips and tricks, language learning advice and counsel on business development abroad.

Available on iTunes and Soundcloud

20. Psychology: Hidden Brain

Hidden Brain reveals the unconscious patterns of human decisions and activity, teaching listeners about their own and others’ unconscious biases through storytelling and science.

21. Philosophy: Philosophize This!

You don’t have to be Socrates to understand this podcast. A great study aid, Philosophize This! explains philosophy in a way that anybody can understand.

22. Social Work: The Social Work Podcast

The first podcast by social workers for social workers, The Social Work Podcast teaches social workers about human behavior, research, field work and policy, among other aspects of social work.

Available on iTunes and Soundcloud

Cover image via Tesco mobile 

I am a senior graduating with a Bachelors in International Relations in May of 2019, just a couple weeks before I turn 20! I've grown up swimming in the emerald waters of the Gulf Coast, so naturally I feel most at home when my flippers are wet. I'm a musician, and I usually play on Fridays at the Waterboyz open mic night. Lately I've been exploring song writing, which has been transformative and extremely fun. I love adventuring and my feet are always itchy to roam. I shoot most of my adventures on 35mm film, so be sure to check out my Instagram to see the world through my lens. I hope you enjoy my articles!