Incredible Women Role Models Based on Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

In celebration of Women’s History Month here’s a list of hard-working, empowered women that have all made differences in their field.

Marine Biology: Rachel Carson

Photo courtesy the granparenteffect.com

Author of Silent Spring, Rachel Carson wrote and battled with the chemical industry to protect the environment from harmful pesticides. Unorthodox to women of her time, she spoke up for the health of the natural environment and was one of the sole causes for banning DDT (a dangerous pesticide banned from the United States in 1972). In addition to her opposition against pesticides, Carson was an avid marine biologist and worked for the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries.

Environmental Science: Erin Brockovich

Photo courtesy makers.com

If you’re an Environmental Science major and haven’t seen the movie Erin Brockovich you need to do so now! Erin Brockovich is an environmental activist who won legal suits against Pacific Gas and Electric Company of California for their contamination of groundwater in Hinkley, California. Brockovich’s perseverance and determination led her to win the largest environmental health settlement in the United States.  Her story is inspirational for environmental science majors and it reminds us of why we are in the field that we are.

Physics & Chemistry: Marie Curie

Winner of the Nobel Prize of Physics in 1903 and the Nobel Prize of Chemistry in 1911, Marie Curie is known mainly for her work in radioactivity. Different from her time, Curie was one of the first women to be in charge of a universities science department. Her research helped radioactivity remediation efforts during World War II. Overall, she’s an amazing, empowered woman to look up to!

Journalism: Megyn Kelly

Photo courtesy 13abc.com

A blonde bombshell with a voice, Megyn Kelly is a leading lady to look up to. Kelly’s face is mainly associated with Fox and NBC News. Kelly is known for upholding her beliefs and challenging those who disregard women. Kelly has encouraged women of all kinds to persevere through darkness. Kelly sends all women a message, “There’s no time for wallowing. We have to get to work.” Use Megyn Kelly’s passion and determination to remind you of what it means to be an empowered woman! 

Politics: Ilhan Omar

Photo courtesy Aaron Lavinsky.

The first Muslim, Somalian American Woman to hold office within the United States, Ilhan Omar is indeed a role model for us all.  From the beginning Omar was targeted with racist and anti-Islamic opposition but she continued to fight for what she believed in. Omar stands with immigrants, environmentalist and progressives with hope to make the United States a better place. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Nursing: Florence Nightingale

How can the founder of modern nursing not be a role model for nursing majors? Florence Nightingale defined what it meant to be a good nurse. Nightingale established medical polices associated with care of a patient. As nursing majors Nightingale provides an amazing role model to look up to and strive to be. Her ability to be kind and care for others is a quality carried only by a few. Florence nightingale represents a truly magnificent woman of history.

Theater: Julie Andrews

Photo courtesy liverpoolecho.com

To the woman who taught us all how to be princesses, thank you. Julie Andrews is a representation of pure class. From her roles in The Princess Diaries to The Sound of Music, Andrews represents a leading lady. Andrews speaks on women’s equality, “I am a liberated woman and I do believe if a woman does equal work she should be paid equal money.” As an awarded and honored actress there isn’t much to dislike about Julie Andrews; she’s a gem for sure.

Music: Beyoncé Knowles-Carter

How could Queen Bey not be on the list of women role models? Beyoncé is the epitome of grace, elegance and strength for us all. As a successful entertainer and woman Beyoncé carries a list of accomplishments like no other. Beyoncé has made several statements on her support of women empowerment and equality. In addition to her support for women, she is also an avid supporter of Black Lives Matter and Civil Rights. And let’s not forget to mention, Queen Bey has the answer to who runs the world—GIRLS!

Nature lover, turtle fanatic and forever passionate about the environment. I'm an environmental science major and would love to travel the world expereincing all of Earth's environments. I hope to share my love for the world through the written word. 
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs