This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

As I sit in a cafe alongside the streets of Paris, I realize how lucky I am to be studying abroad. There are so many factors that go into this process. The planning is stressful at times, but the end result is a journey like no other. For those of you who may be thinking about opening your eyes to new adventures but aren’t sure if it’s right for you, here are some myths about studying abroad that I have debunked:

1. Studying abroad is expensive Most people don’t realize that studying abroad can fit almost anybody’s budget, and in some circumstances it may even be cheaper than studying at your home university.There are a multitude of scholarships available. Most financial aid can also be used to cover the cost of studying abroad, as well.  

2. Studying abroad is dangerous

In a time where many countries are on high alert because of the terrorist attacks that are becoming more and more common, it may be scary to think about studying abroad in such places. Truth is, there is a very low chance that as a student you will be affected by this. As I travel through Europe, I’m extra cautious of my surroundings. Attacks can happen anywhere, even at home.

3. Studying abroad is only for language students

This is 100 percent false! There are many types of study abroad programs, some that correlate directly with your major and some that can be applied to all majors. For example, there are communication, political science, and psychology majors in my own program. Your home university may also offer different programs. For example, you can be placed in a sister university, or in my case, The Village program where professors travel with students all over Europe.

4. Studying abroad is only for certain types of personalities

While studying abroad, you will meet people from all over the world. There are many types of people, and this experience is not limited to one type of personality or person. Having a mix within your group is good. And while you may not get along with everyone in your study abroad group, you will find your people, people that will become family.

5.Studying abroad is easy

Although you are getting to see world landmarks and having the time of your life, it’s not all fun and games. During your study abroad period you will still be studying and learning valuable life lessons. Yes, you will have the world at your hands and it can be easy to get caught up in the excitement of a new place, but the same effort is a put into your studies.

Cover image courtesy of Jenny Perez

Jenny is our fearless Her Campus UWF President. She gets to call Naples, FL her hometown and Pensacola her home away from home. Jenny is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Spanish and International Studies. When she isn't writing articles, you can find her watching The Office, petting puppies, or planning her next road trip!