books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

6 Common Sense Things to Do the First Month of Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

The holidays are over, and it’s back to class for a new semester! If you’re like me, you probably aren’t fully prepared for classes to start back. Whether you don’t know where the room is, your professors name or what textbooks you need, here are six simple things to help get you started off on the right foot.

1. Go to class 

I know this one seems obvious, but seriously, don’t skip class during the first few weeks. You learn important information like when the test and quizzes will be, how the teacher lectures and what your assignments are like. If you skip, you’ll end up confused and it won’t make for a good first impression.

2. Come prepared 

Most professors will give some time to get the textbook(s) so you don’t need it on the very first day of class, but you must bring paper and a pencil! Some professors start teaching the very first day, or they give you important information that can’t be found in the syllabus, and if you don’t have paper and a pencil you will have no way of remembering the information fully. Even after the first day, don’t get lazy. Always keep a notebook in your bag or backpack so you don’t accidently forget it at home. 

3. Do the assignments 

The first few weeks of classes can be stressful and overwhelming with every classing assigning you work when you haven’t even gotten into your new routine yet. But it is crucial that you do all your assignments during the first few weeks. This time is all about first impressions, and you not turning in something won’t help the professor think highly of you.

4. Talk to and email your professors 

Communication is key with all your professors. After the class or during your professor’s office hours, stop by to introduce yourself and ask any questions you have about the course, or say how interested you are in the class subject and you are excited about this semester. If you have an online class, email your professor. These actions show the professor you’re a dedicated and enthusiastic student. Making a good impression on your professor means help with recommendation letters, research opportunities, or career experiences. 

5. Rack up participation points

We all have those professors who love to call on students in class to answer questions in front of everyone. That doesn’t work so well if you haven’t done the reading. Actually do the readings the first month of class and answer the questions voluntarily. When you’re running low on time to do readings later in the semester, the teacher is less likely to call on you because they assume you’ve been doing the readings and already know the answers. 

6. Have a positive attitude 

Going into classes with a can-do attitude will ensure that your semester starts off on the right foot. It will impress your professor and help you make friends in a class where you know no one because you seem approachable.

Junior, Majoring in Communications and specializing in Telecommunications. set14@students.uwf.edu
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs