The 5 Guys You’ll Meet at UWF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

We love that each type of guy has something unique to contribute for the betterment of the university and the diversity of the Argo life. Whether they have a passion for academics, like to play video games in the Commons, or be super involved with their Greek organization, every guy at UWF falls into one of these categories.

1. Fraternity Guys

Easy to spot, harder to pin down. Frat guys can fall into many different subcategories. Sporty Frat Guy is always on every single IM team. Party Frat Guy, is almost never in class. And if he is, then he’s definitely hungover. E-board Frat Guy is trying to make sure that the house doesn’t burn down and that their fraternity is known for more than partying. Inactive Frat Guy will try to make up for being inactive by telling literally everyone about his fraternity and will only bring up the fact that he’s not active if directly questioned about it.

2. Athletes

Once again, easy to spot. You’ll be able to tell if they play a sport at UWF. They will most likely be decked out in workout clothes with their team insignia all over it. Not as many subcategories as the frat guys, but still a few. International Athletes are super friendly and sometimes have hot accents. Starters and star athletes will make sure to tell you their stats from their last game, while also posting the highlights on every form of social media possible. Benchwarmers either love the game enough to sit the bench, or their parents are forcing them for the scholarship. They definitely won’t show you stats or spam videos on your timeline.

3. The ~super~ involved ones

There are so many different organizations that guys could be involved in. SGA guys are super driven, and like having a position of leadership and doing something to better the university. Cabbies (CAB members) like to have a good time, but tend to not party too hard. IM guys love sports, they can tell you at least five colleges that they got offers from but decided not to go to for one reason, or another. Artsy guys (think artists, performers, musicians, etc.) are almost always going to be found in Building 82, super chill and fun to hang out with. ROTC guys are incredibly structured and are always up for a challenge. Typically guys who are involved in some sort of campus activity, also fall into one of the other categories as well.

4. The “regular” guy

Regular guys most likely commute to campus. They are already irritated from fighting traffic for an hour, so they probably won’t talk too much during class. They are either stuck sitting in the library until their next class, or in the Commons. After a full day of classes, they then have to drive all the way back home. If you suggest they join a fraternity or get involved on campus, they will probably want to hit you. Regular guys also have some different subcategories. Nerdy regular guys are content to play video games in the Commons all day while athletic regular guys probably miss high school, and never want to leave their home town.

5. Over the age of 22

These guys (men?) decided to come back to school for various reasons. However, none of those reasons include getting unnecessarily involved on campus, staying at UWF for any amount of time longer than needed, or having extended interaction with people far below their age and maturity level. These are the people you want on your group project because everything will be done immaculately. Probably retired military and could kick your butt in the blink of an eye. Very interested and invested in their education and not much else.

Thumbnail courtesy of Unsplash

Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs