element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 2016 Eco-friendly Gift Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

Gift giving during the holidays can be tons of fun but have you ever thought about whether your gift is healthy for the environment around you? According to the EPA, from Thanksgiving Day to New Year’s Day there is a 25 percent increase in waste produced.  I’m here to tell you that gift giving can be well thought out and environmentally friendly.

Here are a few eco-friendly gift ideas for the holidays that won’t break the bank that your friends and family will love!

Joco Cup

Do you have a friend that loves coffee? If you do, a Joco Cup would be the perfect gift! Joco Cups are adorable glass cups that are barista friendly and decrease paper waste. They come in a variety of colors and sizes that can be personalized to a person’s liking!

Puravida Bracelets

Puravida bracelets are crafted by artisans in Costa Rica. There are several types of styles and colors available. The company has a section of bracelets that help support different types of charities. The bracelet in the picture above helps support the Sea Turtle Conservancy. With a variety of charities available, choose one meaningful to your gift receiver! 

Donate to preserving nature

Give a gift based on someone’s passion. Do they love the ocean, nature, manatees, etc.? Give a gift adoption so that you can help make a difference. Programs such as adopt a Sea Turtle nest, help to raise funds to protect and conserve endangered species. Here is an example for adopting a coral reef!

Recycled items

Does your friend suffer from a severe case of wanderlust? If so, this recycled notebook would be a great gift for them to log their travels. They can use it to store pictures, tickets or maps from their journeys!

Vegan beauty products

How about that friend that loves being Vegan? This company is a 100 percent vegan and cruelty free company that manufactures makeup and body care products.

A fitness class gift card

Gift the gift of experience! Have you ever thought about giving a gift card to a yoga studio? Yoga is a no waste, stress-free experience that could brighten any college girl’s day! Here is a link to a local yoga studio in Pensacola that offers gift cards!

Local honey

Save the Bees! Bees play an important role in the environment as they pollinate the food that we eat. This local company supplies honey to many local restaurants and shops. With tons of health benefits and support to local retailers, you can’t go wrong!

All the options above are smart and easy ways to keep your holiday gifts environmentally friendly. In addition to these gifts, remember to package your gifts smartly too, reusable bags and recycled gift paper are two easy options. Happy holidays!

Thumbnail 1/2/3/4/5/6/7

Nature lover, turtle fanatic and forever passionate about the environment. I'm an environmental science major and would love to travel the world expereincing all of Earth's environments. I hope to share my love for the world through the written word. 
Abigail is a Journalism and Political Science major minoring in Spanish. She has a penchant for puns and can't go a morning without listening to NPR's Up First podcast. You can usually find her dedicating time to class work, Her Campus, College to Congress, SGA or hammocking. Her dream job is working as a television broadcast journalist on a major news network. Down time includes TED talk binges, reading and writing. You can follow Abigail on instagram and Twitter @abi_meggs