10 Amazing Women Who Graduated From UWF and Where They Are Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWF chapter.

This month is Women’s History Month. Our campus is already filled with love and respect for women. For example, our university president is a woman, UWF’s Women’s Studies Conference is around the corner and this article is published on Her Campus, to name a few. Women’s History Month is a time to learn about the women before you and appreciate the risks they took to improve the world for future women. Women’s History month is a time to empower women and motivate them to achieve equality. To kick this month off right, here are 10 incredible women from UWF.

1. Kelly Addington and Becca Tieder

Addington and Tieder are best friends who have been inseparable for the past 25 years. They enrolled at UWF and began their careers together. One day while on a road trip to New Orleans, the women realized that sexual assault impacted both of their lives. On that very road trip the women decided that one sexual assault is too many. Ever since then, they have spoken to more than 400 college campuses about ending sexual assault. Addington and Tieder founded One Student, a non-profit organization. One Student believes that it takes only one student to stop sexual assault on campus. Addington and Tieder also created a card game called “Sexversations.” “Sexversations” makes it easier to have conversations about consent and sexuality. They also established the No Woman Left Behind Campaign which encourages bystander intervention in the situation of sexual violence. Addington and Tieder are inspiring to women today because of their strong sisterhood and their dedication to ending sexual violence.  

2. Augusta Simon

Simon graduated from UWF in 1970. She was among the small group of students that first integrated Pensacola High School in 1963. Simon was UWF’s first African American instructor and resident hall adviser. She co-founded UWF’s Black Student Union, now known as the African American Student Association. Simon is now a retired professor from Cornell University. Augusta Simon has paved the way for women with her bravery and by achieving what was considered the impossible.

3. Martha D. Saunders

Dr. Saunders is UWF’s 6th president. She has her B.A. in French from the University of Southern Mississippi, her master’s in Journalism from the University of Georgia and her doctorates in Communication Theory and Research from Florida State University. Dr. Saunders was president of USM and the chancellor of University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. She has two Silver Anvil awards, the Public Relations Society of America’s highest national honor. Martha D. Saunders serves as a role model for all female argos.

4. The Honorable Casey Rodgers

Rodgers got her undergraduate degree from UWF in 1989 and then received a  J.D. from California Western School of Law in 1992. President George W. Bush nominated her for a seat on the U.S District Court for the Northern District of Fla. She is the first woman appointed to judgeship in our district’s history. Casey Rodgers is proof that sometimes, it’s okay to judge.

5. Theresa Brunasso

Brunasso got her degree in physics from UWF in 1982 and her Master’s in Electrical Engineering from the University of Utah. She served 30 years in the U.S Navy. Brunasso was a part of the team that designed the antenna for the rover Curiosity which landed on Mars in 2012. She is currently the president of D&S Microwave, Inc.. Theresa Brunasso is evidence that women in science is not B.S.

6. Mona Amodeo

Dr. Amodeo got her Master’s in Communications from UWF in 1987. While in graduate school, Amodeo ran the Nautilus News. She got her Doctorate in Organization Development and change from Benedictine University. She is the founder and president of idgroup and Branding from the Core. Both of her companies focus on improving the brands of other companies. Mona Amodeo’s career proves that a woman’s place is at the head of the company.

7. Elizabeth Swaine Cup

Cup got her A.A. in Broadcast Journalism from UWF in 1980. She has worked as a journalist at WEAR-TV and KTBS news department. Cup was also named “Best Journalist in the Nation” by the American Journalism Review magazine. Elizabeth Swaine Cup inspires women to always use their voice and to tell their story.  

8. Guadalupe Valdes

Valdes graduated from UWF in 1968. She currently is a Professor of Education at Stanford University. Valdes is trilingual. She speaks English, Spanish and Portuguese. She has written 11 books about education and linguistics. Guadalupe Valdes has given women a voice in higher education.

9. Kimberly Katzenbarger

Katzenbarger got her bachelor’s in history and her Master of Public Administration in Coastal Zone Management from UWF in 1994. She is currently the General Attorney for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Katzenbarger is among the highest paid 10 percent of employees in this administration. Kimberly Katzenbarger is showing the world that UWF women are making money moves.

10. Jacqui Thurlow-Lippisch

Lippisch has a M.A. in Education from UWF. She is the former mayor and city commissioner of Sewall Point, Fla. She created the blog “Indian River Lagoon” which focuses on the health, politics and history of the Indian River. In 2017, she was appointed by Fla. Senate President Joe Negron to be Fla.’s Constitution Revision Commissioner. Jacqui Thurlow-Lippisch confirms that women are capable of calling the shots.

Gina Castro is a junior at the University of West Florida where she is double majoring in English Literature and Journalism. She is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UWF and an editorial intern for Ballinger Publishing. Since her sophomore year, she has been an active member of her university's Her Campus chapter. When she's not researching new stories to write articles about, she is watching knitting tutorials or obsessing over Toni Morrison.